Old 10-06-2008, 01:09 AM
David Relson

Default new kernel, hdparm not happy

Greetings!

I've recently updated from kernel 2.6.20 to 2.6.24 a little used
machine. The new kernel is working quite well. However hdparm isn't
happy.

Running either "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" or "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" gives a
"HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted" error. Using the same
config for 2.6.25 gives the same result as 2.6.24.

Here are the DMA related options that are enabled:

OLD (2.6.20):

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y

NEW (2.6.24 and 2.6.25):
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_HAS_DMA=y
CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=y
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA_FLAG=1

Can anybody tell me what I've missed?

Thanks.

David

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Jil Larner

Hi,

David Relson a écrit :
> CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y

Isn't that an option which considers all disks to be SATA ?

Not sure, but you might check that.

Sincerely,
Jil

Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Florian Philipp

David Relson schrieb:
> Greetings!
>
> I've recently updated from kernel 2.6.20 to 2.6.24 a little used
> machine. The new kernel is working quite well. However hdparm isn't
> happy.
>
> Running either "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" or "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" gives a
> "HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted" error. Using the same
> config for 2.6.25 gives the same result as 2.6.24.
>
> Here are the DMA related options that are enabled:
>
> OLD (2.6.20):
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
>

> NEW (2.6.24 and 2.6.25):
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
> CONFIG_HAS_DMA=y
> CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y
> CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=y
> CONFIG_ZONE_DMA_FLAG=1
>
> Can anybody tell me what I've missed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Are

CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC

and

CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC

enabled? If so, please try to deactivate them/compile them as modules
and don't load them.