Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup

I thought it was solved, but I was wrong.

Last time I reported this I was advised to start it from the command
line. So here's what I get for "oowriter":

/usr/bin/soffice: line 254: 28590 Segmentation fault
"$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

And I cannot use OO at all.

My root directory (where all binaries are) has 10 GB free.
python-updater has been run.

I need some advice.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag, 6. Oktober 2008 01:31:56 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:

> I thought it was solved, but I was wrong.
>
> Last time I reported this I was advised to start it from the command
> line. So here's what I get for "oowriter":
>
> /usr/bin/soffice: line 254: 28590 Segmentation fault
> "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

Still "bin", or self-compiled? Which version?

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

It's bin. I'm about to compile, but I hate that solution.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:

> I'm about to compile, but I hate that solution.

Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one that
fits into _your_ system.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2008 23:33:52 schrieb b.n.:

> Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:
> > Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:
> >> I'm about to compile, but I hate that solution.
> >
> > Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one
> > that fits into _your_ system.
>
> I don't think Gentoo is about being forced to compile.

It's a source based (meta-) distribution. So yes, you are forced to compile,
unless you install GRP and stay with it.

> I think it is about being able to choose the best solution that fits
> your _needs_ ,before your system.

If it doesn't fit your system, it's not even able to fit your needs (because
in this case, it simply doesn't run).

> That's why binary packages are provided. Sometimes compiling is just not
> the best option.

Yes, if there is no other alternative.

OTOH, installing a big, complex software package like OOo as a binary that was
compiled with unknown options (aka USE flags) on a completely different system
into a system that was installed from sources, with eventually completely
different USE flags set can't be the best option. It may or may not work.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
"b.n."

Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:
> Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:
>
>> I'm about to compile, but I hate that solution.
>
> Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one that
> fits into _your_ system.

I don't think Gentoo is about being forced to compile.
I think it is about being able to choose the best solution that fits
your _needs_ ,before your system.
That's why binary packages are provided. Sometimes compiling is just not
the best option.

m.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On 10/8/08, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2008 23:33:52 schrieb b.n.:
>

> > Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:
> > >
> > > Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one
> > > that fits into _your_ system.
> >
> > I don't think Gentoo is about being forced to compile.
>

> It's a source based (meta-) distribution. So yes, you are forced to compile,
> unless you install GRP and stay with it.
>

> > I think it is about being able to choose the best solution that fits
> > your _needs_ ,before your system.
>

> If it doesn't fit your system, it's not even able to fit your needs (because
> in this case, it simply doesn't run).
>

> > That's why binary packages are provided. Sometimes compiling is just not
> > the best option.
>

> Yes, if there is no other alternative.
>
> OTOH, installing a big, complex software package like OOo as a binary that was
> compiled with unknown options (aka USE flags) on a completely different system
> into a system that was installed from sources, with eventually completely
> different USE flags set can't be the best option. It may or may not work.
>
> Bye...
>

> Dirk

For me, the reasons are
1. I wanted Gentoo for the toolchain and the things I'm developing.
These are the things where I wanted support tailored to my 2xXeon (4
core) system.

2. I've been using Oo-bin because it worked, and efficiency didn't
matter because
I don't even use it every week. Compiling it takes a day or so and
accordingly it was spending more time compiling than I was spending
using it. Now it no longer works and I'll probably use Word on my
wife's laptop. But I won't like it.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 23:33:52 +0200, b.n. wrote:

> I think it is about being able to choose the best solution that fits
> your _needs_ ,before your system.
> That's why binary packages are provided.

If that were the reason, there would be binary packages of KDE, which
takes longer to build than OOo, GNOME and XOrg. There are binary packages
of OOo, Firefox ad Thunderbird because upstream provide them. They are
not built with Gentoo in mind so may not even be ideally suited to even a
bog-standard "from stage 3" system.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away

Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 AM
"Andrey Vul"

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, the reasons are
> 1. I wanted Gentoo for the toolchain and the things I'm developing.
> These are the things where I wanted support tailored to my 2xXeon (4
> core) system.
>
> 2. I've been using Oo-bin because it worked, and efficiency didn't
> matter because
> I don't even use it every week. Compiling it takes a day or so and
> accordingly it was spending more time compiling than I was spending
> using it. Now it no longer works and I'll probably use Word on my
> wife's laptop. But I won't like it.
Your system is 4 core and it takes a day to compile OOo? Something
sounds very off.
Honestly, my 3 year old laptop which has 1 core and a 1.8 GHz Turion
with 2GB of DDR333 takes 4 hours to compile.
What are you running apart from emerge (e.g. X, firefox, etc.)?

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

>> For me, the reasons are
>> 1. I wanted Gentoo for the toolchain and the things I'm developing.
>> These are the things where I wanted support tailored to my 2xXeon (4
>> core) system.
>>
>> 2. I've been using Oo-bin because it worked, and efficiency didn't
>> matter because
>> I don't even use it every week. Compiling it takes a day or so and
>> accordingly it was spending more time compiling than I was spending
>> using it. Now it no longer works and I'll probably use Word on my
>> wife's laptop. But I won't like it.
> Your system is 4 core and it takes a day to compile OOo? Something
> sounds very off.
> Honestly, my 3 year old laptop which has 1 core and a 1.8 GHz Turion
> with 2GB of DDR333 takes 4 hours to compile.
> What are you running apart from emerge (e.g. X, firefox, etc.)?
>

> --
> Andrey Vul

This is a 6-year-old desktop, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB original DDR memory.

I run KDE and sometimes a bunch of compute-bound research tasks of my
own creation.

I haven't compiled it in so long I may be confusing it with gnome or
KDE or any of that collection of things that monopolize my machine
from time to time. A couple of years back I went to 'bin' on things I
don't use much, and did some trimming on modular packages like KDE to
cut down my emerge times. There are just so many times when I want to
break in to fool with some hardware and I'm loath to do it during an
emerge. I just think of these measures as saving me days of emerging
from time to time.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD