Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 AM
"Andrey Vul"

Default Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup

On an 1.7 GHz Ahtlon Xp with 768 MB of SDR133, it takes about 8 hours
if X is *not* running and there are no other emerges nor anything else
that is CPU-/RAM-hunry. Basically, turn off X and your research
programs for up to 12 hours. nice -n -20 can shave your emerge time
even more, at the risk of decreased system responsiveness.
The only thing that takes a day or two is emerge -uvD --with-bdeps=y world .
Gentoo requires patience, with the reward of fast code. I actually
enjoy waiting for compiles to finish, so much so that I install from
stage 1 if possible and only use stage 3 if I have to get Gentoo
working in a short amount of time. At least the compiling makes a very
good screensaver

--
Andrey Vul