Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
pat

Default hdd hotswap problem

Hello,

Currently I'm using hotswap of the UltraBay devices (hdd and cd/dvd) on my IBM
T43, kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3, the hdd is Ultra ATA 160GB. Hotswap of these works
well.

And now my problem: I've bought new UltraBay box with new hdd - SATA II 320GB.
After hotswaping the new hdd (320), it is not detected, hdd led looks like the
disk is under full load and the dmesg gives me:

*****
fuse init (API version 7.8)
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 4
ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata2: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata2: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
ata2.00: limiting speed to UDMA7:PIO5
ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata2: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
ata2: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata2: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2: EH pending after completion, repeating EH (cnt=4)
ata2: EH complete
*****

Yes, I'm patient but it's not recognized even after 30 minutes ... only the
hotswap doesn't work, the rest of the system works well.

When I start the system with plugged new disk (320), it works fine ... the disk
is detected correctly, device in the /dev is created during the boot and the
disk can be mounted and behaves well. Unplugging the disk works too, but
plugging it back not :-(

I've tried to compile newer kernels (2.6.25-gentoo-r7 and 2.6.25-gentoo-r8), but
in these kernels the hotswap freezes the system like this:

- plug/unpluf the cd/dvd works
- plug old hdd (160) works
- unplug old hdd (160) freezes the system (the system has to be started with hdd
plugged in)

- plug the new hdd (320) doesn't work
- unplug new hdd (320) freezes the system (the system has to be started with hdd
plugged in)

If the system freeze there are not error messages in the /var/log/messages file,
so I have no idea what's wrong :-(

Can someone help? For me is not important if I use 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 kernel or
newer one, but I want to be able hotswap the devices.

Thanks a lot for help.

Pat