Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   KDE 4.1.2... a winner! (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/171098-kde-4-1-2-winner.html)

Jerry McBride 10-05-2008 04:10 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
Well, I took notice that kde 4.1.2 is in portage... I quickly removed kde-svn
and layman and began the unmasking and keywording of 4.1.2. I let it all
install over night and... This morning, with a little trepidation, I booted
into KDE-4.1.2... no problems!

This is the first of the recent kde4.x releases that I've been able to take
full advantage of.

Success at last...

Cheers.

--

************************************************** ***************************

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

12:05:43 up 7 days, 16:23, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.04

************************************************** ***************************

Alan McKinnon 10-05-2008 06:05 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
On Sunday 05 October 2008 20:08:23 b.n. wrote:
> Jerry McBride ha scritto:
> > Well, I took notice that kde 4.1.2 is in portage... I quickly removed
> > kde-svn and layman and began the unmasking and keywording of 4.1.2. I let
> > it all install over night and... This morning, with a little trepidation,
> > I booted into KDE-4.1.2... no problems!
> >
> > This is the first of the recent kde4.x releases that I've been able to
> > take full advantage of.
> >
> > Success at last...
>
> Wonderful news!
> Could you share your relevant package.mask and package.keywords, for the
> laziest of us? :)

It's 250+ lines (or thereabouts) :-(

Easy way:
emerge --sync

open $PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask
copy/paste HUGE list from 2 Oct
Add these:
=app-misc/strigi-0.5.11
=app-office/akonadi-server-1.0.0
=dev-libs/soprano-2.1



--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

"b.n." 10-05-2008 06:08 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
Jerry McBride ha scritto:
Well, I took notice that kde 4.1.2 is in portage... I quickly removed kde-svn
and layman and began the unmasking and keywording of 4.1.2. I let it all
install over night and... This morning, with a little trepidation, I booted
into KDE-4.1.2... no problems!


This is the first of the recent kde4.x releases that I've been able to take
full advantage of.


Success at last...


Wonderful news!
Could you share your relevant package.mask and package.keywords, for the
laziest of us? :)


Thanks
m.

Neil Bothwick 10-05-2008 06:16 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:08:23 +0200, b.n. wrote:

> Could you share your relevant package.mask and package.keywords, for
> the laziest of us? :)

emerge autounmask
autounmask kde-meta

:-)


--
Neil Bothwick

The trouble with the world is that everybody in it is three drinks behind.

Luigi Pinna 10-05-2008 06:59 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
Alle domenica 05 ottobre 2008, Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:08:23 +0200, b.n. wrote:
> > Could you share your relevant package.mask and package.keywords,
> > for the laziest of us? :)
>
> emerge autounmask
> autounmask kde-meta
>
> :-)
I continue to have a blocking package (actually not installed):

[blocks B ] <=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4 (is blocking x11-libs/qt-
dbus-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.1, x11-
libs/qt-assistant-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.1,
x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-
svg-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.0)

How to solve it?
Thanks,
Luigi

Neil Bothwick 10-05-2008 08:01 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:59:25 +0200, Luigi Pinna wrote:

> I continue to have a blocking package (actually not installed):
>
> [blocks B ] <=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4 (is blocking x11-libs/qt-
> dbus-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.1, x11-
> libs/qt-assistant-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.1,
> x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-
> svg-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.1, x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.0)
>
> How to solve it?

emerge -Ca "<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4"

Note the < at the start of the package name, it means any version less
than this (in SLOT 4). You also need the quotes to prevent the shell
interpreting the < as redirection.


--
Neil Bothwick

new oxymoron: final beta

Alan McKinnon 10-05-2008 08:47 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
On Sunday 05 October 2008 20:16:55 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:08:23 +0200, b.n. wrote:
> > Could you share your relevant package.mask and package.keywords, for
> > the laziest of us? :)
>
> emerge autounmask
> autounmask kde-meta

For the super-lazy amongst us, what does that package do?

OK, I can figure out what it does, so my real question should be "what other
stuff does it do that I might not expect? Any gotchas?"

I've become ... wary ... of useful sounding packages that claim to automate
tricky portage things


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Dale 10-05-2008 09:44 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 05 October 2008 20:16:55 Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:08:23 +0200, b.n. wrote:
>>
>>> Could you share your relevant package.mask and package.keywords, for
>>> the laziest of us? :)
>>>
>> emerge autounmask
>> autounmask kde-meta
>>
>
> For the super-lazy amongst us, what does that package do?
>
> OK, I can figure out what it does, so my real question should be "what other
> stuff does it do that I might not expect? Any gotchas?"
>
> I've become ... wary ... of useful sounding packages that claim to automate
> tricky portage things
>
>
>

I have used it and it seems to work pretty good. I must confess that I
backed up my /etc just in case. ;-) Never hurts right?

I used it to unmask KDE 4 when it first came out just to see what, if
anything, was different. Since I am still on dial-up and KDE 4 was
updating a pretty good bit, I went back to KDE 3.5.

I also like the way it separated what it added to the package.* files
from what I already had there. In Kwrite for example, you can just
highlight from where it started to the end, hit delete and it is like it
never happened.

May be worth a try, just back up /etc first. Just in case your mileage
varies. :-p

Dale

:-) :-)

Neil Bothwick 10-05-2008 10:20 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:47:42 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > emerge autounmask
> > autounmask kde-meta
>
> For the super-lazy amongst us, what does that package do?
>
> OK, I can figure out what it does, so my real question should be "what
> other stuff does it do that I might not expect? Any gotchas?"

It basically adds a bunch of packages to /etc/portage/packages.unmask
and /etc/portage/packages.keywords, bracketed by start/end comments so
you can remove them. It's a quick and easy way of emerging something
with a lot of masked dependencies, like kde-meta:4.

I used it the last time I tried KDE4 and it did just as was expected,
except is added =cat/pkg-vers, which I changed to ~cat/pkg/vers so I
could pick up and fixes.


--
Neil Bothwick

... Never say anything more predictive than "Watch this!"

Dale 10-05-2008 10:30 PM

KDE 4.1.2... a winner!
 
Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
> It basically adds a bunch of packages to /etc/portage/packages.unmask
> and /etc/portage/packages.keywords, bracketed by start/end comments so
> you can remove them. It's a quick and easy way of emerging something
> with a lot of masked dependencies, like kde-meta:4.
>
> I used it the last time I tried KDE4 and it did just as was expected,
> except is added =cat/pkg-vers, which I changed to ~cat/pkg/vers so I
> could pick up and fixes.
>
>
>

You can tell it not to put versions tho.

root@smoker / # autounmask -h

autounmask version 0.21 (using PortageXS-0.02.07 and portage-2.2_rc11)

Usage:
autounmask category/package-version

Options:
-h, --help : Show this help.
-p, --pretend : Just pretend.
-n, --noversions : Do not append version when unmasking a
package. <<<<--------------

root@smoker / #

Just use the -n option. I haven't used that that I can recall tho. Now
watch some guru come up with a script to remove them. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.