Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
"b.n."

Default KDE 4.1.2... a winner!

Erik Hahn ha scritto:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:13:33PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
>> I have found another KDE app which is important sufficiently to delay
>> switching to KDE4 - the app is k3b, which still isn't ported. If I
>> understand well, there isn't any minimal apps list (and k3b, would be in
>> the list, I think) which must be ported to KDE4 before unmasking KDE4 in
>> portage. Is it so?
>
> Why should there be one? The fact k3b isn't ported yet doesn't break any
> other KDE package.

Does k3b 3.5 run happily under kde4?
If yes, there is no problem.
If not, there is.

m.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 19:40:25 b.n. wrote:
> Erik Hahn ha scritto:
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:13:33PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> >> I have found another KDE app which is important sufficiently to delay
> >> switching to KDE4 - the app is k3b, which still isn't ported. If I
> >> understand well, there isn't any minimal apps list (and k3b, would be in
> >> the list, I think) which must be ported to KDE4 before unmasking KDE4 in
> >> portage. Is it so?
> >
> > Why should there be one? The fact k3b isn't ported yet doesn't break any
> > other KDE package.
>
> Does k3b 3.5 run happily under kde4?
> If yes, there is no problem.
> If not, there is.

That question is irrelevant. It should be:

If k3b is ported to KDE4, then it will use the kde4 libs
If not, the ebuild will emerge the kde3 libs and k3b will use those.

Either way, there is no problem.

Besides, isn't k3b NOT part of the official KDE tarballs (like amarok)? If so
it can't hold up KDE4.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM
"b.n."

Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 19:40:25 b.n. wrote:
>> Erik Hahn ha scritto:
>>> Why should there be one? The fact k3b isn't ported yet doesn't break any
>>> other KDE package.
>> Does k3b 3.5 run happily under kde4?
>> If yes, there is no problem.
>> If not, there is.
>
> That question is irrelevant. It should be:
>
> If k3b is ported to KDE4, then it will use the kde4 libs
> If not, the ebuild will emerge the kde3 libs and k3b will use those.
>
> Either way, there is no problem.

I know that *in theory* it is so. In practice however, someone in this
thread has said that for example kopete suffers incompatibilities. Maybe
I have not understood correctly ; however that's why I asked.

m.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2008 23:28:50 schrieb b.n.:

> I know that *in theory* it is so. In practice however, someone in this
> thread has said that for example kopete suffers incompatibilities.

Hmm, kopete _is_ part of KDE and _has_been ported (both is not true for k3b,
AFAIK). However, if there are incompatibilities, you can always stay with the
version from KDE 3.5.

Bye...

Dirk