Old 10-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Andreas Simbuerger

Default Change install directory of ebuilds?

Greetings,

Is it possible to change the install-directory of ebuilds?
Let's say for example:

TODIR=/usr/local/lib emerge python

I tried to find a clue within the Gentoo Documentation and the Forums
but still no idea how to do that.

-----
As it is my first post to a mailing list, i hope it's not kind of a dumb
question that can be solved by a "RTFM" ;-)
-----

- Andreas

Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Justin

Andreas Simbuerger schrieb:
> Greetings,
>
> Is it possible to change the install-directory of ebuilds?
> Let's say for example:
>
> TODIR=/usr/local/lib emerge python
>
> I tried to find a clue within the Gentoo Documentation and the Forums
> but still no idea how to do that.
>
> -----
> As it is my first post to a mailing list, i hope it's not kind of a dumb
> question that can be solved by a "RTFM" ;-)
> -----
>
> - Andreas

What really do you want to do? Whats your intention behind?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Andreas Simbuerger

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 22:08 +0200, Justin wrote:
> Andreas Simbuerger schrieb:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Is it possible to change the install-directory of ebuilds?
> > Let's say for example:
> >
> > TODIR=/usr/local/lib emerge python
> >
> > I tried to find a clue within the Gentoo Documentation and the Forums
> > but still no idea how to do that.
> >
> > -----
> > As it is my first post to a mailing list, i hope it's not kind of a dumb
> > question that can be solved by a "RTFM" ;-)
> > -----
> >
> > - Andreas
> >

> What really do you want to do? Whats your intention behind?

I had some trouble during upgrading Python2.4 to Python2.5
where some ebuilds installed themselves to /usr/local/lib
depending ebuilds were looking into /usr/lib.

Whilst having no idea how i messed that one up (aside from accepting
~amd64 ebuilds ;-)) i want to correct that by remerging
the messed up packages with the correct(?) path.

In addition i try to solve the problems by doing an
emerge -eaD world
right at the moment

- Andreas

Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
David Relson

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 22:17:52 +0200
Andreas Simbuerger wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 22:08 +0200, Justin wrote:
> > Andreas Simbuerger schrieb:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to change the install-directory of ebuilds?
> > > Let's say for example:
> > >
> > > TODIR=/usr/local/lib emerge python
> > >
> > > I tried to find a clue within the Gentoo Documentation and the
> > > Forums but still no idea how to do that.
> > >
> > > -----
> > > As it is my first post to a mailing list, i hope it's not kind of
> > > a dumb question that can be solved by a "RTFM" ;-)
> > > -----
> > >
> > > - Andreas
> > >

> > What really do you want to do? Whats your intention behind?
>
> I had some trouble during upgrading Python2.4 to Python2.5
> where some ebuilds installed themselves to /usr/local/lib
> depending ebuilds were looking into /usr/lib.
>
> Whilst having no idea how i messed that one up (aside from accepting
> ~amd64 ebuilds ;-)) i want to correct that by remerging
> the messed up packages with the correct(?) path.
>
> In addition i try to solve the problems by doing an
> emerge -eaD world
> right at the moment
>
> - Andreas

H'lo Andreas,

Here're some ideas, for whatever they're worth:

Installs to /usr/local/lib sounds like b0rked ebuilds. I'd try using
equery to find the ebuilds that installed "bad" files. Then I'd look
for "/usr/local" in those ebuilds and fix them. Putting the fixed
ebuilds in /usr/local/portage/..., rather than just
changing /usr/portage/..., might be even better. Lastly, I'd report
the b0rked ebuilds on bugzilla.gentoo.org and would include the fixes
with the reports.

Looking on my system, all that /usr/local/lib is
/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/doxypy-0.3rc2-py2.5.egg-info
which appears to have come from manually installing
~/Download/doxypy-0.3rc2.tar.gz, i.e. the one such file I have isn't
from an ebuild at all. Might that be what's happened to you?

HTH,

David

Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Andreas Simbuerger

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 17:15 -0400, David Relson wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 22:17:52 +0200
> Andreas Simbuerger wrote:

> > > What really do you want to do? Whats your intention behind?
> >
> > I had some trouble during upgrading Python2.4 to Python2.5
> > where some ebuilds installed themselves to /usr/local/lib
> > depending ebuilds were looking into /usr/lib.
> >
> > Whilst having no idea how i messed that one up (aside from accepting
> > ~amd64 ebuilds ;-)) i want to correct that by remerging
> > the messed up packages with the correct(?) path.
> >
> > In addition i try to solve the problems by doing an
> > emerge -eaD world
> > right at the moment
> >
> > - Andreas
>
> H'lo Andreas,
>
> Here're some ideas, for whatever they're worth:
>
> Installs to /usr/local/lib sounds like b0rked ebuilds. I'd try using
> equery to find the ebuilds that installed "bad" files. Then I'd look
> for "/usr/local" in those ebuilds and fix them. Putting the fixed
> ebuilds in /usr/local/portage/..., rather than just
> changing /usr/portage/..., might be even better. Lastly, I'd report
> the b0rked ebuilds on bugzilla.gentoo.org and would include the fixes
> with the reports.
>
> Looking on my system, all that /usr/local/lib is
> /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/doxypy-0.3rc2-py2.5.egg-info
> which appears to have come from manually installing
> ~/Download/doxypy-0.3rc2.tar.gz, i.e. the one such file I have isn't
> from an ebuild at all. Might that be what's happened to you?
>
> HTH,
>
> David
Thanks for this idea!

So portage takes /usr/local/portage before /usr/portage ?
Cool thing! I will try that after emerge -eD world has finished
... 330 of 697 weeeeeee ;-)

Although i don't have any downloaded packages, everything that went
in, went in through portage ;D

Besides...i got the following packages installed to /usr/local/.....
I still doubt that this is a problem with ~amd64....
Perhaps something in /etc/env.d/ can cause this? Didn't change
anything in there...

rei python2.5 # qfile -v /usr/local/lib/python2.5

net-p2p/bittorrent-5.2.0 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
sys-apps/file-4.26 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
net-zope/zopeinterface-3.0.1-r1 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 (/usr/local/lib64/python2.5)
dev-java/java-config-2.1.6-r1 (/usr/local/lib64/python2.5)
dev-python/pyopenssl-0.7 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/pyopengl-3.0.0_beta1 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/pyxdg-0.15 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/twisted-8.1.0 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/pyrex-0.9.8.5 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/python-ldap-2.3.5 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/dnspython-1.6.0 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/wxpython-2.6.4.0-r2 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/numeric-24.2-r6 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/setuptools-0.6_rc8-r1 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/pycairo-1.4.12 (/usr/local/lib64/python2.5)
dev-python/pyxml-0.8.4-r1 (/usr/local/lib64/python2.5)
dev-python/twisted-web-8.1.0 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/gdata-1.0.8 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)
dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6 (/usr/local/lib/python2.5)

- Andreas

Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 05 October 2008 00:03:47 Andreas Simbuerger wrote:
> > Installs to /usr/local/lib sounds like b0rked ebuilds. *I'd try using
> > equery to find the ebuilds that installed "bad" files. *Then I'd look
> > for "/usr/local" in those ebuilds and fix them. *Putting the fixed
> > ebuilds in /usr/local/portage/..., rather than just
> > changing /usr/portage/..., might be even better. *Lastly, I'd report
> > the b0rked ebuilds on bugzilla.gentoo.org and would include the fixes
> > with the reports.
> >
> > Looking on my system, all that /usr/local/lib is
> > /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/doxypy-0.3rc2-py2.5.egg-info
> > which appears to have come from manually installing
> > ~/Download/doxypy-0.3rc2.tar.gz, i.e. the one such file I have isn't
> > from an ebuild at all. *Might that be what's happened to you?
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > David
>
> Thanks for this idea!
>
> So portage takes /usr/local/portage before /usr/portage ?

That's pretty normal, it's so that your customizations override the distro
default, much like dot files in ~ override whatever is in /etc/

David's comment about b0rked ebuilds is spot-on. Most packages are built using
autotools, which defaults to --prefix=/usr/local. The ebuild author forgot to
change it to /usr/, so you have to figure out what he should have done and do
it yourself. I would recommend submitting a bug report plus patch when you
solve it, and meanwhile keeping a correct copy of the ebuild in your local
overlay.

By and large the broken ebuild works, as libs in /usr/local are still found on
systems with sane linkers, despite the location being technically incorrect

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 AM
David Relson

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 01:05:35 +0200
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Sunday 05 October 2008 00:03:47 Andreas Simbuerger wrote:
> > > Installs to /usr/local/lib sounds like b0rked ebuilds. *I'd try
> > > using equery to find the ebuilds that installed "bad" files.
> > > *Then I'd look for "/usr/local" in those ebuilds and fix them.
> > > *Putting the fixed ebuilds in /usr/local/portage/..., rather than
> > > just changing /usr/portage/..., might be even better. *Lastly,
> > > I'd report the b0rked ebuilds on bugzilla.gentoo.org and would
> > > include the fixes with the reports.
> > >
> > > Looking on my system, all that /usr/local/lib is
> > > /usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/doxypy-0.3rc2-py2.5.egg-info
> > > which appears to have come from manually installing
> > > ~/Download/doxypy-0.3rc2.tar.gz, i.e. the one such file I have
> > > isn't from an ebuild at all. *Might that be what's happened to
> > > you?
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > Thanks for this idea!
> >
> > So portage takes /usr/local/portage before /usr/portage ?
>
> That's pretty normal, it's so that your customizations override the
> distro default, much like dot files in ~ override whatever is in /etc/
>
> David's comment about b0rked ebuilds is spot-on. Most packages are
> built using autotools, which defaults to --prefix=/usr/local. The
> ebuild author forgot to change it to /usr/, so you have to figure out
> what he should have done and do it yourself. I would recommend
> submitting a bug report plus patch when you solve it, and meanwhile
> keeping a correct copy of the ebuild in your local overlay.
>
> By and large the broken ebuild works, as libs in /usr/local are still
> found on systems with sane linkers, despite the location being
> technically incorrect

FWIW, I too have dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6 installed on an AMD64
system. However my files are in /usr/lib, not in /usr/local/lib as
reported by the OP -- which makes it sound like the ebuild is OK and
there's something unusual in his environment.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 AM
"Andrey Vul"

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Andreas Simbuerger <simi@osaft.eu> wrote:
> In addition i try to solve the problems by doing an
> emerge -eaD world
-D is unnecessary if -e is specified.
And I prefer this: emerge -evp world 2>&1 | tee ew
Then I can look at ew using less and see if everything is good.
Then this (if everything is good): emerge -ev world 2>&1 | tee ew
--
Andrey Vul

Old 10-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Andreas Simbuerger

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 20:25 -0400, David Relson wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 01:05:35 +0200
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > > Thanks for this idea!
> > >
> > > So portage takes /usr/local/portage before /usr/portage ?
> >
> > That's pretty normal, it's so that your customizations override the
> > distro default, much like dot files in ~ override whatever is in /etc/
> >
> > David's comment about b0rked ebuilds is spot-on. Most packages are
> > built using autotools, which defaults to --prefix=/usr/local. The
> > ebuild author forgot to change it to /usr/, so you have to figure out
> > what he should have done and do it yourself. I would recommend
> > submitting a bug report plus patch when you solve it, and meanwhile
> > keeping a correct copy of the ebuild in your local overlay.
> >
> > By and large the broken ebuild works, as libs in /usr/local are still
> > found on systems with sane linkers, despite the location being
> > technically incorrect
>
> FWIW, I too have dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6 installed on an AMD64
> system. However my files are in /usr/lib, not in /usr/local/lib as
> reported by the OP -- which makes it sound like the ebuild is OK and
> there's something unusual in his environment.

Good morning ;-)

I think i repaired my environment ;-)
I did a "qfile -v /usr/local/lib/python2.5" and unmerged all packages
installed into this directory.
After the unmerging i still had python files remaining
in /usr/local/lib/python2.5.
I erased them because the only package owning /usr/local/lib/python2.5
was sys-apps/file ....

After that i remerged them again and all of a suddend each package went
into /usr/lib/python2.5

I believe it had something to do with the autoconf macros:
AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT
AC_PREFIX_PROGRAM
Perhaps i pulled in a buggy ebuild from somewhere so that it got
installed into /usr/local/lib/... and the other ebuilds all
guessed the install dir by locating python?

I still can't figure out what went wrong but i think it's solved now...
/usr/local/lib is empty now and no ebuilds are complaining so far.

Thanks to you all! :-)

- Andreas