Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Some KDE apps under KDE4 stability

On Saturday 04 October 2008 16:30:35 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have notice KDE 4.1.2 ebuilds were added to the official protage tree
> (still masked though). I'm interested in most brave KDE users' opinions wrt
> some concrete KDE apps' stability under KDE4 (in order of importance):

This all relates to 4.1.1, but should be mostly valid:

> KMail (without IMAP using)

Pretty stable. It certainly looks like 3.5.9 build against 4.1

> Krusader 2.x (core, without 'Useractions')

Dunno, I don't it use it

> Phonon (working with ALSA/hdsp)

Still trying to figure out how to use Phonon :-)

> Amarok 2.x (dealing with local files only)

OMFG. Eternal crashes and hangs. Inconsistent collection db. Waaaaaay too much
pain for me to entertain it right now.

> Konsole (he-he :-) )

Works just fine. A few minor things are missing, like having the current
command show in the title bar. But as a terminal it works very well

> Kima applet
> KNetLoad applet (if it works at all)
> KSysGuard

I don't use these at all. GKrellm kicks SysGuard's butt :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 04 October 2008 17:28:32 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > why compiz? kde 4.1 has rather nice effects build in (which can be turned
> > off easily in systemsettings).
>
> I mean multiple debates about KDE 4 and video-drivers.

If you have a recent-ish nvidia card, you might want to treat KDE4 as
experimental on your box till you find the magic spell that gives you decent
performance...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Saturday 04 October 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote: =======
> > I mean multiple debates about KDE 4 and video-drivers.
>
> If you have a recent-ish nvidia card, you might want to treat KDE4 as
> experimental on your box till you find the magic spell that gives you
> decent performance...

The thing is I have not nvidia (i810 driver is in use for g965-in-board),
and I don't need performance. Stable 2D working is the only needed
thing :-)

ANdrew

Old 10-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 04 October 2008 17:54:59 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> ======= On Saturday 04 October 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote: =======
>
> > > I mean multiple debates about KDE 4 and video-drivers.
> >
> > If you have a recent-ish nvidia card, you might want to treat KDE4 as
> > experimental on your box till you find the magic spell that gives you
> > decent performance...
>
> The thing is I have not nvidia (i810 driver is in use for g965-in-board),
> and I don't need performance. Stable 2D working is the only needed
> thing :-)

So you are safe then.

I find it quite humorous that the crappy on-board Intel video chips give the
best performance on KDE-4 :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 04 Oktober 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 04 October 2008 17:28:32 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > > why compiz? kde 4.1 has rather nice effects build in (which can be
> > > turned off easily in systemsettings).
> >
> > I mean multiple debates about KDE 4 and video-drivers.
>
> If you have a recent-ish nvidia card, you might want to treat KDE4 as
> experimental on your box till you find the magic spell that gives you
> decent performance...

the magic spells seems to be the latest beta-drivers from nvidia.

Or you just turn of desktop effects in system settings.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 04 Oktober 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:

> > for the two above: there are countless plasmoids, just look around.
>
> As far as I have not KDE 4 installed, I can not look around yet :-)

kde-looks.org

Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 04 Oktober 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > Konsole (he-he :-) )
>
> Works just fine. A few minor things are missing, like having the current
> command show in the title bar.

well, with 4.1.68 it works (and I am too lazy to check 4.1.2 right now )

Old 10-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

> I find it quite humorous that the crappy on-board Intel video chips give
> the best performance on KDE-4 :-)

Well, it's time to redefine the term "crappy" :-)

Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Saturday 04 October 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote: =======
> > Phonon (working with ALSA/hdsp)
>
> Still trying to figure out how to use Phonon :-)

Do you mean Phonon in common, or Phonon + RME card? The thing is, ALSA is
some thing, but ALSA + hdsp is something another :-) - there are no common
known alsamixer controls for hdsp driver.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Saturday 04 October 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote: =======
> > Amarok 2.x (dealing with local files only)
>
> stay with amarok 1.4 ....

Do you mean, 1.4 does work under KDE4?