Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 AM
"Liviu Andronic"

Default Password strength checker

Dear everyone,

I'm looking for a Linux password strength checker, and so far I found
this GPLed Java-Script-based solution [1]. Could you please suggest
other utilities to test the strength of passwords?

Regards,
Liviu

PS I'm curious whether such a JS password strength checker can be
ebuilt and included in Portage.

[1] http://www.passwordmeter.com/

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Saturday 4 October 2008, 10:50, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> I'm looking for a Linux password strength checker, and so far I found
> this GPLed Java-Script-based solution [1]. Could you please suggest
> other utilities to test the strength of passwords?

If you are concerned that users do not choose weak passwords, you can use
pam_cracklib to make the passwd program enforce constraints on the
passwords.

A portage search reveals pam_passwdqc and john the ripper.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 10:50 +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear everyone,
>
> I'm looking for a Linux password strength checker, and so far I found
> this GPLed Java-Script-based solution [1]. Could you please suggest
> other utilities to test the strength of passwords?
>
> Regards,
> Liviu

Revelation, the password manager, has a python function that can be used
to check passwords. It's in the util.py module. It also can utilize
cracklib.