Old 10-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Dale

Default First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java

boslists@gmail.com wrote:
> My first install of Gentoo, and I'm pleased by how far I've progressed
> on my own, not being a programmer or computer person, but I'm a bit
> wary of proceeding further without advice.
>
> I was trying to emerge some several files which had a dependency on
> java-sdk-docs. Below is the message from emerge. More information
> will follow.
>
> !!! dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1 has fetch restriction turned on.
> !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
> !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
>
> * Please download jdk-6-doc.zip from
> *
> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6-doc-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
>
> * (select English and agree to the licence) and place it in
> /usr/portage/distfiles named as
> * jdk-6-doc-r1.zip. Notice the r1. Because Sun changes the doc zip file
> * without changing the filename, we have to resort to renaming to keep
> * the md5sum verification working for existing and new downloads.
> *
> * If emerge fails because of a md5sum error it is possible that Sun
> * has again changed the upstream release, try downloading the file
> * again or a newer revision if available. Otherwise report this to
> * http://bugs.gentoo.org/67266 and we will make a new revision.
> * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1'
>
> * Messages for package dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1:
>
> * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1
>
> So, I downloaded the file, renamed it and put it where it told me to.
> Then I found http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
> and I am trying to follow that.
>
> I added PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/portage/distfiles" to
> /etc/make.conf The first because the wki said to, and the second
> because that's where emerge's message told me to put the file I
> downloaded from Sun.
>
> I then added FEATURES="collision-protect ccache parallel-fetch" to
> /etc/male.conf for safety, even though I have no idea what it does. I
> then checked out features with emerge --info | grep FEATURES. It
> told me that /usr/local/portage did not exist.
>
> OK, so I created it. Now, that is where emerge told me to put the
> file, but the fact that gentoo did not even create that directory
> gives me pause.
>
> Bottom line: I am being told I need this dependency, and I am not
> sure how to proceed in creating my own Ebuild to install it.
>
> Am I even in the right ballpark here?
>
> Thanks,
> Bo Grimes

You got the file downloaded right? Put the file, with the new name, in
/usr/portage/distfiles then emerge it. It will see the file was
downloaded and placed there then emerge it like any other package.

You shouldn't need a overlay for that. At least I don't here.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 AM

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 02:08:16 +0000 (Local time zone must be set--see zic
manual page) "boslists@gmail.com" <boslists@gmail.com> wrote:

> My first install of Gentoo, and I'm pleased by how far I've
> progressed on my own, not being a programmer or computer person, but
> I'm a bit wary of proceeding further without advice.
>
> I was trying to emerge some several files which had a dependency on
> java-sdk-docs. Below is the message from emerge. More information
> will follow.
>
> !!! dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1 has fetch restriction turned on.
> !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
> !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
>
> * Please download jdk-6-doc.zip from
> *
> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6-doc-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
> * (select English and agree to the licence) and place it in
> /usr/portage/distfiles named as
> * jdk-6-doc-r1.zip. Notice the r1. Because Sun changes the doc zip
> file
> * without changing the filename, we have to resort to renaming to
> keep
> * the md5sum verification working for existing and new downloads.
> *
> * If emerge fails because of a md5sum error it is possible that Sun
> * has again changed the upstream release, try downloading the file
> * again or a newer revision if available. Otherwise report this to
> * http://bugs.gentoo.org/67266 and we will make a new revision.
> * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1'
>
> * Messages for package dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1:
>
> * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1
>
> So, I downloaded the file, renamed it and put it where it told me to.

After that, you should be able to emerge the package.

> Then I found
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds and I am
> trying to follow that.

You didn't need this. It's for third-party e-builds, but you aren't
using a third party e-build. The zip file came from Sun, but the
ebuild is in the Gentoo portage tree.

Ebuilds are just scripts which portage uses to build the packages. In
this case, the ebuild isn't allowed to download the files it needs
automagically, but it's still a Gentoo ebuild, not a third-party one.

I've snipped the rest of what you wrote about overlays, &c., but it
didn't look like anything was wrong, just unnecessary for what you want
to do. For more info about overlays, see
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml>.

Kleeneness is next to Gdelness.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 03 Oktober 2008, boslists@gmail.com wrote:
> My first install of Gentoo, and I'm pleased by how far I've progressed on
> my own, not being a programmer or computer person, but I'm a bit wary of
> proceeding further without advice.
>
> I was trying to emerge some several files which had a dependency on
> java-sdk-docs. Below is the message from emerge. More information will
> follow.
>
> !!! dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1 has fetch restriction turned on.
> !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
> !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
>
> * Please download jdk-6-doc.zip from
> *
> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en
>_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6-doc-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Devel
>oper * (select English and agree to the licence) and place it in
> /usr/portage/distfiles named as
> * jdk-6-doc-r1.zip. Notice the r1. Because Sun changes the doc zip file
> * without changing the filename, we have to resort to renaming to keep
> * the md5sum verification working for existing and new downloads.
> *
> * If emerge fails because of a md5sum error it is possible that Sun
> * has again changed the upstream release, try downloading the file
> * again or a newer revision if available. Otherwise report this to
> * http://bugs.gentoo.org/67266 and we will make a new revision.
> * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1'
>
> * Messages for package dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1:
>
> * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1
>
> So, I downloaded the file, renamed it and put it where it told me to.

really? and did you rename it?

> Then I found http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds and
> I am trying to follow that.

why?

> I added PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/portage/distfiles" to
> /etc/make.conf The first because the wki said to, and the second because
> that's where emerge's message told me to put the file I downloaded from
> Sun.

again, why? all you need to do is downloading the file and put it into
/usr/portage/distfiles. And don't add that to make.conf as an overlay
directory. it is just wrong.

> OK, so I created it. Now, that is where emerge told me to put the file,
> but the fact that gentoo did not even create that directory gives me
> pause.

why should emerge create a directory that it doesn't even need?

> Bottom line: I am being told I need this dependency, and I am not sure
> how to proceed in creating my own Ebuild to install it.

you don't need to create the ebuild. It is a dependency/file needed. The
ebuild is already there.

> Am I even in the right ballpark here?

I am afraid: no

Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
"b.n."

boslists@gmail.com ha scritto:

You didn't need this. It's for third-party e-builds, but you aren't
using a third party e-build. The zip file came from Sun, but the
ebuild is in the Gentoo portage tree.

Ebuilds are just scripts which portage uses to build the packages. In
this case, the ebuild isn't allowed to download the files it needs
automagically, but it's still a Gentoo ebuild, not a third-party one.

I've snipped the rest of what you wrote about overlays, &c., but it
didn't look like anything was wrong, just unnecessary for what you want
to do. For more info about overlays, see
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml>.

Thanks for the additional info. Good to know!

I think this little misunderstanding could be solved, in the future, by
clarifying it (perhaps in a footnote) in the gentoo docs. To me the
instructions for java etc. have always been clear, but it doesn't mean
it is always the case.

m.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Dale

boslists@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, b.n. wrote:
>
>> boslists@gmail.com ha scritto:
>>> Thanks for the additional info. Good to know!
>>>

>> I think this little misunderstanding could be solved, in the future,
>> by clarifying it (perhaps in a footnote) in the gentoo docs. To me
>> the instructions for java etc. have always been clear, but it doesn't
>> mean it is always the case.
>
> Well, my thinking was Sun does not equal Gentoo therefore Sun is a 3rd
> party. Being less than a week on the Gentoo scene, and having no
> experience as a developer, coder, administrator or any other computer
> profession, I am still in the foothills of the learning curve
> regarding Gentoo specific jargon like Ebuilds.
>
> I appreciate the patience.

The rest of us appreciated it when we first started too. I think it is
one of those things that depending on how you view it, it can be taken
more than one way. I know sometimes what emerge spits out just plan
don't make sense to me but it does after someone explains it to me a
little. Sometimes a LOT.

Hang in there. It gets better.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM, boslists@gmail.com <boslists@gmail.com> wrote:
> My first install of Gentoo, and I'm pleased by how far I've progressed on my
> own, not being a programmer or computer person, but I'm a bit wary of
> proceeding further without advice.
>
> I was trying to emerge some several files which had a dependency on
> java-sdk-docs. Below is the message from emerge. More information will
> follow.
>
> !!! dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1 has fetch restriction turned on.
> !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
> !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
>
> * Please download jdk-6-doc.zip from
> *
> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6-doc-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
> * (select English and agree to the licence) and place it in
> /usr/portage/distfiles named as
> * jdk-6-doc-r1.zip. Notice the r1. Because Sun changes the doc zip file
> * without changing the filename, we have to resort to renaming to keep
> * the md5sum verification working for existing and new downloads.
> *
[snip]
> So, I downloaded the file, renamed it and put it where it told me to.
Fine, you should indeed have downloaded the jdk-6-doc.zip file and put
it (with the correct name) in portage's DISTDIR (DISTDIR is, by
default, /usr/portage/distfiles).

> Then I
> found http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds and I am
> trying to follow that.
No no no, this is *not* a third party ebuild. It is an official Gentoo
ebuild, that unfortunately needs you to manually fetch this
jdk-6-doc.zip file. This is *not* a third party ebuild.
Rest assured that manually fetching files is, fortunately, very uncommon.

> I added PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/portage/distfiles" to
> /etc/make.conf
No. Undo this. /usr/porage/distfiles is *not* a portage overlay and
*must not* be in PORTDIR_OVERLAY. Remove it.
/usr/local/portage is a common location for putting a gentoo overlay,
but since you probably don't have an overlay (many, if not most,
people don't need an overlay), don't care about /usr/local/portage.
Remove the directory name from PORTDIR_OVERLAY and them remove the
directory /usr/local/portage itself with the command rmdir --verbose
/usr/local/portage.
> I then added FEATURES="collision-protect ccache parallel-fetch" to
> /etc/male.conf for safety, even though I have no idea what it does.
Don't add features without a basic knowledge of what they mean.
In fact, this is a big lesson:

*Don't mess with your system without a basic knowledge of what you are doing*
I did it more than once and broke my system more than once. Do not
repeat the same mistake.

Look /etc/make.conf.example for a brief explanation of what which
feature means. I personally use parallell-fetch. It speeds up emerging
multiple packages, because it enables Portage to download one package
source in the background while it emerges another package in the
foreground. In fact, I don't know why this isn't enabled by default.
I don't use ccache, because AFAIK it speeds up compilation at the
expense of consuming tons of disk space. I am satisfied with my
compile speed (I use lightweight programs, and these tend to compile
quickly), but I want my disk to have a lot of free space so that disk
access is faster.
collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.

[snip]
> /usr/local/portage did not exist.
> OK, so I created it. Now, that is where emerge told me to put the file
No, it told you to put the file in /usr/portage/distfiles.
[snip]
> I am not sure how to proceed in creating my own Ebuild to install it.
You don't need to, and very probably should not.
> Am I even in the right ballpark here?
No. *All* you had to do was fetch the required file and put it, with
the specified name, in Portage's DISTDIR, which is
/usr/portage/distfiles by default.
Everything else you did without knowing what you were doing should
probably be undone, to return the system to its safe default
configuration.

> Thanks,
> Bo Grimes
You're welcome

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds

Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:30 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
> any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
> knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.

You probably want this enabled. I think it's disabled by default because new
users will have no idea whatsoever what to do about it. All it does is check
the files it wants to install with what's on the disk. If there's a match,
the existing files must only have been put there by the same package
(ignoring version numbers).

If there's a collision, you get a huge big fat error message and a chance to
find out why two different packages install the same file. Maybe you need to
uninstall one, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's the latter, just

FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge <package>

and continue as normal. In any event, you get to decide what should happen.
Every experienced gentoo user should be using this imho

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:30 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
>> collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
>> any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
>> knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.
>
> You probably want this enabled. I think it's disabled by default because new
> users will have no idea whatsoever what to do about it. All it does is check
> the files it wants to install with what's on the disk. If there's a match,
> the existing files must only have been put there by the same package
> (ignoring version numbers).
>
> If there's a collision, you get a huge big fat error message and a chance to
> find out why two different packages install the same file. Maybe you need to
> uninstall one, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's the latter, just
>
> FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge <package>
>
> and continue as normal. In any event, you get to decide what should happen.
> Every experienced gentoo user should be using this imho

Nice. I actually thought that this protection was enabled by default,
and wondered what FEATURES=collision-protect did. Once I had a program
behaving weirdly, and found out that its binary (/usr/bin/stream, if
memory serves) had been replaced by an identically-named binary of
another program. I thought it was a Portage bug, but you are telling
me that Portage allows this by default.

By the way, certain parts of Portage are very scarcely document, are
they not? For examples, the FEATURES only have quick explanations in
make.conf.example, as far as I know (and I did search for more
complete explanations).

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds

Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 19:56:41 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> By the way, certain parts of Portage are very scarcely document, are
> they not? For examples, the FEATURES only have quick explanations in
> make.conf.example, as far as I know (and I did search for more
> complete explanations).

Have you read all the important man pages, in their full excruciating detail?

/usr/share/man/man1/ebuild.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man1/emerge.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/ebuild.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/make.conf.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/portage.5.bz2

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 PM

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 19:56:41 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
>> By the way, certain parts of Portage are very scarcely document, are
>> they not? For examples, the FEATURES only have quick explanations in
>> make.conf.example, as far as I know (and I did search for more
>> complete explanations).
>
> Have you read all the important man pages, in their full excruciating detail?
>
> /usr/share/man/man1/ebuild.1.bz2
> /usr/share/man/man1/emerge.1.bz2
> /usr/share/man/man5/ebuild.5.bz2
> /usr/share/man/man5/make.conf.5.bz2
> /usr/share/man/man5/portage.5.bz2
To be sincere, I don't remember. I'll read when I get home.
Regards,
Jorge Peixoto

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds