Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
maxim wexler

Default CUPS can't print--RESOLVED

--- On Wed, 10/1/08, maxim wexler <blissfix@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: maxim wexler <blissfix@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [gentoo-user] CUPS can't print
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 12:31 PM
> Hi group,
>
> This printer, HP Laserjet 4 plus, works fine in WinXP.
> According to localhost:631 the printer was set up
> successfully but when I tried to print a test page the
> printer made some whirring noise then stopped and went
> off-line. In the LED readout on the printer it says: PC Load
> H4. According to the error log the job was "completed
> successfully".
>
> The printer does not appear in dmesg but according to the
> gentoo printing howto this is not critical. I'm using
> cups-1.3.7-r1.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Maxim

So, I found there's two ways to load this thing: a stack of paper in a tray at the bottom or individually via a fold out door above the tray
<slaps own forehead>. Then it's a question of adjusting 'Properties' in the print dialogue. 'A4' or 'Letter' before clicking 'Print' a second time.

Now if I can just figure out how to un-bold the font: way to much ink being used