Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Default Correct Setup for DVDRAM

Hi,

since I own a LG HD-LT-DT GSA-4163B bruner, which
allows to burn DVDRAM discs I try to generate a
setup, which successfully writes data to a DVDRAM.

Everything else works fine. But writing a complete DVDRAM
takes "hours". As recommended I use UDF as the filesystem
of choice -- no unnessary rewrite of the same sectors of
the DVDRAM.

I tried to use packet-writing but ot does not help.

Is there any "definite" recipe how setup everything to
get any reasonable transfer rate to and from the DVDRAM
or is it simply not possible with Linux?

Any help is very appreciated -- thank you very much in advance!
mcc

Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Florian Philipp

meino.cramer@gmx.de schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> since I own a LG HD-LT-DT GSA-4163B bruner, which
> allows to burn DVDRAM discs I try to generate a
> setup, which successfully writes data to a DVDRAM.
>
> Everything else works fine. But writing a complete DVDRAM
> takes "hours". As recommended I use UDF as the filesystem
> of choice -- no unnessary rewrite of the same sectors of
> the DVDRAM.
>
> I tried to use packet-writing but ot does not help.
>
> Is there any "definite" recipe how setup everything to
> get any reasonable transfer rate to and from the DVDRAM
> or is it simply not possible with Linux?
>
> Any help is very appreciated -- thank you very much in advance!
> mcc

I've given up packet writing a long time ago. It never worked for me.

IMHO both udftools and the kernel driver are not really usable (just try
udffsck ...) and with the advent of flash memory I don't think anyone
will invest a lot of work in either one.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Simon

Storing data on a dvd is always quite useful and dvds cost much less than usb
keys or other... I've been thinking about one thing.

Is there any such thing as an incremental filesystem for write-once-read-only
media (ie. DVD+-R)?...

A filesystem that would append the inode table at the end of the session at each
session, and the table would refer to previous dvds, only the last table would
be read, previous tables ignored (unless used for journaling)... This would
make that after some time of usage if you wish to copy certain files back to a
hd, the filesystem would have to instruct you to insert a specific series of
dvds in order to extract all those files (or blocks). This of course will
clearly result in waste and large number of dvds if used a lot in read-write
operations (ie, nothing gets ever rewritten but instead can be no longer
referenced by the table).

I've been thinking on hacking the ext2 kernel driver to support this kind of thing.

Of course the goal with such filesystem is for backup of individual files, but
since I would be using something like a modified ext2fs, a very large file could
be spread on multiple dvds, be fragmented and stored this way transparently.

Another way might be to use a read-writable media for storing the fs table.
Possibly, using a modified ext2fs which would transparently work like a real
ext2fs, a tool like rsync could be used to make true incremental backups using
the hard-links trick. But it could also be used like a rarely used hard-drive
which does not suffer from magnetic deterioration (however unlikely this is).

Any such tool?
If not, this would be my first project dealing with kernel programming.

Simon

Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2008 18:01:31 schrieb Simon:

> Any such tool?

tar -M?

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-08-2008, 07:31 AM
"Pe'ter, Csa'sza'r"

Hi,

Simon wrote:

> Another way might be to use a read-writable media for storing the fs
> table. Possibly, using a modified ext2fs which would transparently work
> like a real ext2fs, a tool like rsync could be used to make true
> incremental backups using the hard-links trick. ...

I am not very good in these things, however I wonder what are you
meaning under "hard-links trick" in this case.

I have thought about several possible kind of backup strategy for
private purposes. Once I got the idea to use hard-links for incremental
backup on a large enough external hard drive. All the backups are in
directories by their date. While creating a backup a file is hard linked
and not copied if it exists in the last backup and have not changed
since that.

I don't know if this trick is in use by any already existing program. Do
you or anybody else know such tools?

Peter

Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 09:31:58 schrieb ext Pe'ter, Csa'sza'r:

> I am not very good in these things, however I wonder what are you
> meaning under "hard-links trick" in this case.

There are some rsync based backup tools out there which provide a full tree
for each backup they perform. However, to minimize disk space useage, the
hardlink all unchanged files/dirs to their counterparts in previous backups.

See also: http://www.rsnapshot.org

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Florian Philipp

Simon schrieb:
> Storing data on a dvd is always quite useful and dvds cost much less
> than usb keys or other... I've been thinking about one thing.
>
> Is there any such thing as an incremental filesystem for
> write-once-read-only media (ie. DVD+-R)?...

UDF is supposed to support this (see wikipedia) but as I've already
said, it never worked for me.