Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Grant

Default eth1 won't show up

I have this:

# lspci
05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
[Cyclone] (rev 34)
05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
[Cyclone] (rev 30)

but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to investigate this?

- Grant

Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Robert Bridge

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 08:05:11 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have this:
>
> # lspci
> 05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
> [Cyclone] (rev 34)
> 05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
> [Cyclone] (rev 30)
>
> but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to
> investigate this?

Is that ifconfig, or ifcongif -a ?

Or in a less pedantic answer, have you started eth1?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 02 October 2008 17:05:11 Grant wrote:
> I have this:
>
> # lspci
> 05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
> [Cyclone] (rev 34)
> 05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
> [Cyclone] (rev 30)
>
> but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to investigate
> this?

ifconfig eth1 up?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Grant

>> I have this:
>>
>> # lspci
>> 05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
>> [Cyclone] (rev 34)
>> 05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
>> [Cyclone] (rev 30)
>>
>> but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to
>> investigate this?
>
> Is that ifconfig, or ifcongif -a ?
>
> Or in a less pedantic answer, have you started eth1?

I didn't think that through, sorry. I think this is what I should have posted:

# /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
* Starting eth1
* Bringing up eth1
* 192.168.1.1
* network interface eth1 does not exist
* Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver) [ !! ]

- Grant

Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Adrian Pablo Ali

Grant escribió:

I have this:

# lspci
05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
[Cyclone] (rev 34)
05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
[Cyclone] (rev 30)

but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to
investigate this?

Is that ifconfig, or ifcongif -a ?

Or in a less pedantic answer, have you started eth1?

I didn't think that through, sorry. I think this is what I should have posted:

# /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
* Starting eth1
* Bringing up eth1
* 192.168.1.1
* network interface eth1 does not exist
* Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver) [ !! ]

- Grant

forgive my basic English.

Look in:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

and see if another card is not marked as eth1 in the rules, if this is
so, it removes the rule and restarts. This happens when you switch card,
check to see if the macaddress are well allocated.

--
*Adrian Pablo Ali
* adrianali@tucumanlinux.com.ar <mailto:adrianali@tucumanlinux.com.ar>

* Tucuman Linux / Fortix
* http://www.tucumanlinux.com.ar
info@tucumanlinux.com.ar <mailto:info@tucumanlinux.com.ar>
Av. Sarmiento 1347 - San Miguel de Tucuman - Tucuman - Argentina
C.P.: 4000
Tel.: 0381 4 237797 - Int 2051

Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Robert Bridge

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:16:27 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have this:
> >>
> >> # lspci
> >> 05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
> >> [Cyclone] (rev 34)
> >> 05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
> >> [Cyclone] (rev 30)
> >>
> >> but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to
> >> investigate this?
> >
> > Is that ifconfig, or ifcongif -a ?
> >
> > Or in a less pedantic answer, have you started eth1?
>
> I didn't think that through, sorry. I think this is what I should
> have posted:
>
> # /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
> * Starting eth1
> * Bringing up eth1
> * 192.168.1.1
> * network interface eth1 does not exist
> * Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver) [ !! ]

No problem, I just gave the first answer that came to mind when I saw
your post

ifconfig -a will tell you if there are any cards detected which haven't
come up. Worth checking to see if the card has been allocated a
different number.

Rob.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Grant

>>> Is that ifconfig, or ifcongif -a ?
>>>
>>> Or in a less pedantic answer, have you started eth1?
>>>

>> I didn't think that through, sorry. I think this is what I should have
>> posted:
>>
>> # /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
>> * Starting eth1
>> * Bringing up eth1
>> * 192.168.1.1
>> * network interface eth1 does not exist
>> * Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver) [ !! ]
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> forgive my basic English.
>
> Look in:
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> and see if another card is not marked as eth1 in the rules, if this is so,
> it removes the rule and restarts. This happens when you switch card, check
> to see if the macaddress are well allocated.

I switched some stuff around in that file, rebooted, and it's fixed.
Thank you very much.

- Grant

Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Joseph

05:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
[Cyclone] (rev 34)
05:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX
[Cyclone] (rev 30)

but from ifconfig I only have eth0. Can anyone tell me how to investigate this?

- Grant

See Gentoo setup guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1

Section: Configuring your Network