Old 10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Stroller

Default Gentoo-compatible wifi GUI?

Hi there,

The DHL man has just been & taken my MacBook away to have its ego
stroked by professionally-trained Apple engineers. I thought in the
meantime I might try living the Linux lifestyle for a few days & have
(literally) dusted off my (not literarily) black & white Thinkpad.

I've only used WEP so far, not wpa-supplicant, but I supposed I'd
better get the latter set up. So in light of that inexperience, please
forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there any GUI wifi apps
that sit in the system tray, scan and let you connect to available
networks, and are also compatible with Gentoo's configuration files?

Last time I used wifi under Gentoo one added the network name &
encryption key to /etc/conf.d/net (or /etc/conf.d/wireless) and the
network scripts did the rest. Ideally, then, I'd like a GUI that
scanned for networks & added the details to the conf.d file. Is this a
reasonable expectation?

BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.

Stroller.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Erik Hahn

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:46:07PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The DHL man has just been & taken my MacBook away to have its ego
> stroked by professionally-trained Apple engineers. I thought in the
> meantime I might try living the Linux lifestyle for a few days & have
> (literally) dusted off my (not literarily) black & white Thinkpad.
>
> I've only used WEP so far, not wpa-supplicant, but I supposed I'd better
> get the latter set up. So in light of that inexperience, please forgive
> me if this is a dumb question, but are there any GUI wifi apps that sit
> in the system tray, scan and let you connect to available networks, and
> are also compatible with Gentoo's configuration files?
>
> Last time I used wifi under Gentoo one added the network name &
> encryption key to /etc/conf.d/net (or /etc/conf.d/wireless) and the
> network scripts did the rest. Ideally, then, I'd like a GUI that scanned
> for networks & added the details to the conf.d file. Is this a
> reasonable expectation?
>
> BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.
>
> Stroller.

There's network-manager, it uses it's own config files, though.

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:06:48 +0200, Erik Hahn wrote:

> > BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.

> There's network-manager, it uses it's own config files, though.

Knetworkmanager takes care of the config, using KDE's wallet to store
WEP/WPA passwords. However, I've recently started using wicd instead of
knetworkmanager. For one thing, it automatically reconnects when you lose
and regain the signal to your AP. Also, because the connection is handled
by the daemon and only controlled by the GUI, the wireless connection is
running by the time the desktop loads.

--
Neil Bothwick

Genius is 99% inspiration and 2% arithmetic

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Mick

On Thursday 02 October 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:06:48 +0200, Erik Hahn wrote:
> > > BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.
> >
> > There's network-manager, it uses it's own config files, though.
>
> Knetworkmanager takes care of the config, using KDE's wallet to store
> WEP/WPA passwords. However, I've recently started using wicd instead of
> knetworkmanager. For one thing, it automatically reconnects when you lose
> and regain the signal to your AP. Also, because the connection is handled
> by the daemon and only controlled by the GUI, the wireless connection is
> running by the time the desktop loads.

I have never (knowingly) used networkmanager to know what it offers, but I
have used kwifimanager, or if you use wpa_supplicant you could use wpa_gui.
I have found that wpa_supplicant will scan and re-attach automatically as you
move in-out of range. My office has a mesh of APs and as you walk around you
drop and reconnect transparently.

Mick

Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:58:02 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > Knetworkmanager takes care of the config, using KDE's wallet to store
> > WEP/WPA passwords. However, I've recently started using wicd instead
> > of knetworkmanager. For one thing, it automatically reconnects when
> > you lose and regain the signal to your AP. Also, because the
> > connection is handled by the daemon and only controlled by the GUI,
> > the wireless connection is running by the time the desktop loads.
>
> I have never (knowingly) used networkmanager to know what it offers,
> but I have used kwifimanager, or if you use wpa_supplicant you could
> use wpa_gui. I have found that wpa_supplicant will scan and re-attach
> automatically as you move in-out of range. My office has a mesh of APs
> and as you walk around you drop and reconnect transparently.

All of the GUIs, and the daemons like wicd and networkmanager, make use
of wpa_supplicant to handle the WPA connection details.

--
Neil Bothwick

You are about to give someone a piece of your mind,
something you can ill afford...