Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Mick

Default net-misc/dhcpcd-4.0.1-r1 change of USE flags

I upgraded from net-misc/dhcpcd-3.2.3 to net-misc/dhcpcd-4.0.1-r1. I noticed
that the vram USE flag is now removed and the compat USE flag added (to
enable command line compatibility with the dhcpcd-3.x version).

Unfortunately, this change was also noticed by my router, which will no longer
serve the static IP address that I have set up on it for my laptop. I recall
a similar problem occurring with a previous version and the solution was to
add the vram USE flag. I could of course ring up the router manufacturers
and have a go at their router implementation - but hey, they may just find my
behaviour a tad unreasonable. ;-)

What happens is that without the vram flag the router reads not the MAC
address of, say:

01:00:1B:2F:A7:01F

but something like this instead:

FD:65:74:68:90:00:01:01:00:0E:95:9F7:01:00:1B:2F :A7:01F

In other words, the router receives a ClientID probably based on the DUID
field which is not recognised by the router as the correct MAC.

I can set the correct IP address manually at the laptop, but what I'd rather
have is a dhcpcd implementation that works with, not against my router and
the fields that it expects to read. What shall I do, have a go at the router
manufacturer all the same?
Mick