Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Willie Wong

Default Mediatomb media server - users & permissions for /media/videoX

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 03:05:58AM +0100, Penguin Lover Stroller squawked:
> I'm a little unclear as to how these permissions have been applied -
> shouldn't it be based either on the permissions of the mount-point
> directory, or added as an "-o users,umask=000" in /etc/fstab ?

umask only applies to file systems with no intrinsic permission
settings, e.g. VFAT. The permissions for file systems with permission
bits are set in the file system itself. Which is why before and after
mounting the mount point may have different permission listings.

In otherwords, chmod/chown/chgrp applied to the mount point with
nothing mounted will change the mount point's listing when nothing is
mounted, and chmod/chown/chgrp applied to the mount point after
mounting will change the permissions of the actual file system.

> However I'm posting to solicit suggestions on the best permissions
> practices for this purpose. mediatomb shouldn't need write access to these
> files or folders at all - there's no option on the UPnP client, for
> instance, to delete files from the server. Should I make the drives owned
> by "users" and in the "mediatomb" group, with read-only access for the
> latter? Any other suggestions?

What's so secret in your media folders that you can't just give read
access to mediatomb? Why don't you have it like you have now with
regards tot he owner and group and just give read permission to other?

owner root
group users
umask 002 (i.e. you will have rwxrwxr-x or rw-rw-r-- ?)

To do any fancier (say, files owned by root, read-write access for all
users and read access only for mediatomb and no access for everyone
else) you will probably need a real ACL with which I can offer no
suggestions.

When coal was first discovered, there was a large black market.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 662 days, 12:48