Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Justin

Default 2008.0 Installation Question...

BRM schrieb:
> I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
> The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
>
> The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
>
> I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
> The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...
>
> Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
> Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
> -- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.
>
> Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.
>
> Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Ben

you can also use equery check to check all files which should be
installed. Did you do an emerge --sync to corrected any portage brackage?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
BRM

The issue isn't just with X-org.

I'll try Justin's suggestion as soon as I get a chance.
Per X.org though, I was trying to follow one of the HOWTO's on it...I'll have to try that out as well though after regenerating the world file.

Thanks!

Ben

On Monday 29 September 2008 15:15:33 BRM wrote:
> I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I
> started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage. The initial
> install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X
> windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
>
> The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies
> correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds
> for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly
> installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X
> protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
>
> I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly
> like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0
> profiles. The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken
> e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>"
> indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to
> believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or
> something...

No, the portage tree is just fine.

Sounds like you emerged xorg-server, which gives you the ... Xorg Server :-)

To get everything else, you should have installed the xorg-x11 package. It's
a -meta package whose sole purpose is to install a bunch of other packages.

To check if your portage tree is wonky, run emerge --sync

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
David Sveningsson

Justin skrev:
> BRM schrieb:
>> I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
>> The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
>>
>> The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
>>
>> I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
>> The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
>> Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
>> -- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.
>>
>> Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.
>>
>> Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Ben
>>

> you can also use equery check to check all files which should be
> installed. Did you do an emerge --sync to corrected any portage brackage?

I had a similar issue installing 2008.0 once but that was most likely a
broken portage snapshot. emerge --sync fixed the problem.

--

//*David Sveningsson [eXt]*

Freelance coder | Game Development Student
http://sidvind.com

Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure clear to thy fellow
man by using the One True Brace Style, even if thou likest it not, for
thy creativity is better used in solving problems than in creating
beautiful new impediments to understanding.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:30 PM
BRM

Yes, I did an emerge sync against my local portage mirror which is updated every day, used by my other systems.

I did it very early in the install process too; though I forget at exactly what step. I also did it a couple times thereafter after hitting the issue to see if it would correct it, but no luck.

Ben

Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 PM
BRM

Ran the 'regenworld' and 'revdep-rebuild' and it seems to be working. 6 packages were added to world as a result.
It's currently still in the revdep-rebuild phase, and I think it should complete without problem; I'll continue on as suggested later this evening if it does. (Hopefully!)

I'll post more if I run into other issues, but I think we likely solved it. If it's finished with revdep-rebuild when I get back home this evening, then it should be completely solved since before I couldn't get through such a build without something breaking.

Thanks all!

Ben