Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
BRM

Default 2008.0 Installation Question...

I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.

The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.

I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
-- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.

Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.

Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Justin

BRM schrieb:
> I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
> The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
>
> The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
>
> I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
> The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...
>
> Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
> Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
> -- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.
>
> Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.
>
> Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Ben

That sounds like a broken world file. try regenworld to fix this. After
that emerge -uvaDn world to fix all deps. If you didn't unemerge any
package (python gcc or so) you should get all dependencies that way. Run
revdep-rebuild will help some more afterwards.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 29 September 2008 15:15:33 BRM wrote:
> I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I
> started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage. The initial
> install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X
> windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
>
> The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies
> correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds
> for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly
> installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X
> protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
>
> I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly
> like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0
> profiles. The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken
> e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>"
> indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to
> believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or
> something...

No, the portage tree is just fine.

Sounds like you emerged xorg-server, which gives you the ... Xorg Server :-)

To get everything else, you should have installed the xorg-x11 package. It's
a -meta package whose sole purpose is to install a bunch of other packages.

To check if your portage tree is wonky, run emerge --sync

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com