Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Jon Hardcastle

Default Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux

> my new
> > >
> > > Hauppage USB tv stick to

> references to
> > >
> > > compilable kernel modules

> they
> > >
> > > referred to old modules or

> Knoppix and run
> > >
> > > make menuconfig on

> have
> > >
> > > 10's of TV card chipset

> > > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged

> why this
> > >
> > > might be?

> be
> > >
> > > gentle!)
> > >

> > > because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are
> developed
> > > outside of the main
> > > kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
> > > experimental.
> > >
> > > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial
> rep and
> > > do a make, make
> > > install in it do get drivers that work. And with
> > > 'work' I mean: no sound on
> > > first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
> > > reconnecting it, it suddenly
> > > works.
> >
> > Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the
> option to add
> > support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add
> steps to the
> > menuconfig?
>
> no.
> it just installs all the drivers in the rep as modules. It
> doesn't touch any
> configs at all.

Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to alot more kernel options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources. Is it possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead of downloading using mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel to make the modules available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my machine?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

> > my new

> > references to

> > they

> > Knoppix and run

> > have

> > why this

> > be

> > developed

> > rep and

> > > Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the
> >
> > option to add
> >
> > > support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add
> >
> > steps to the
> >
> > > menuconfig?
> >
> > no.
> > it just installs all the drivers in the rep as modules. It
> > doesn't touch any
> > configs at all.
>
> Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to alot more kernel
> options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources.

because they patch their kernel.

> Is it
> possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead of downloading using
> mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel to make the modules
> available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my machine?

a) /usr/src/linux
b) uname -r
c) just make clean && make&& make install for every kernel.

Why patch at all? with the rep and make&& make install you get all the
drivers. It is not that much 'overhead' compared to the work of patching the
kernel. And you don't even need to worry about which driver you need -
autoloading will do that for you

Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Jon Hardcastle

> trying to get
> > >
> > > my new

> by
> > >
> > > references to

> was because
> > >
> > > they

> into
> > >
> > > Knoppix and run

> seems to
> > >
> > > have

> whereas

> assistance as to
> > >
> > > why this

> post - please
> > >
> > > be

> drivers are
> > >
> > > developed

> hidden under

> mercurial
> > >
> > > rep and

> And with
> stick and

> dont have the
> > >
> > > option to add

> mercurial add
> > >
> > > steps to the

> > > no.
> > > it just installs all the drivers in the rep as
> modules. It
> > > doesn't touch any
> > > configs at all.
> >
> > Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to
> alot more kernel
> > options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or
> vanilla-sources.
>
> because they patch their kernel.
>
> > Is it
> > possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead
> of downloading using
> > mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel
> to make the modules
> > available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my
> machine?
>
> a) /usr/src/linux
> b) uname -r
> c) just make clean && make&& make install
> for every kernel.
>
> Why patch at all? with the rep and make&& make
> install you get all the
> drivers. It is not that much 'overhead' compared to
> the work of patching the
> kernel. And you don't even need to worry about which
> driver you need -
> autoloading will do that for you

Hi, cheers for all your help so far. If you are sure they were patching the kernel and hence the extra options I am happy to draw a line under that line of investigation.. as i wondered if i was using the wrong kernel or something.

Secondly I dont really understand the commands you have given me there. I have my 3 kernels yes at /usr/src with a symlink pointing to my active one which DOESN'T have any DVB stuff compiled in at all. I got the latest gentoo-sources kernel to experiment with and ultimately to switch over to, booted into it.. and downloaded the v4l using mercurial did the make install and it all worked grandly. but how do i know where it has put its modules, if it puts them under /usr/src/linux or gets any kernal info from there then they are in the wrong place. But if it is clever enough to know what kernel i am currently booted into and put them in the correct place accordingly then I am still stumped as i cant get this blasted card to work.

Can you also recommend some kernel debug options i can turn on? Can they be done as parameters to the kernel instead of compiled in? i have plug and play debug and some USB debug but i'd like more!

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Tuesday 30 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:

> > trying to get

> > by

> > was because

> > into

> > seems to

> > whereas

> > assistance as to

> > post - please

> > drivers are

> > hidden under

> > mercurial

> > And with

> > stick and

> > dont have the

> > mercurial add

> > modules. It

> > > Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to
> >
> > alot more kernel
> >
> > > options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or
> >
> > vanilla-sources.
> >
> > because they patch their kernel.
> >
> > > Is it
> > > possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead
> >
> > of downloading using
> >
> > > mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel
> >
> > to make the modules
> >
> > > available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my
> >
> > machine?
> >
> > a) /usr/src/linux
> > b) uname -r
> > c) just make clean && make&& make install
> > for every kernel.
> >
> > Why patch at all? with the rep and make&& make
> > install you get all the
> > drivers. It is not that much 'overhead' compared to
> > the work of patching the
> > kernel. And you don't even need to worry about which
> > driver you need -
> > autoloading will do that for you
>
> Hi, cheers for all your help so far. If you are sure they were patching the
> kernel and hence the extra options I am happy to draw a line under that
> line of investigation.. as i wondered if i was using the wrong kernel or
> something.
>
> Secondly I dont really understand the commands you have given me there. I
> have my 3 kernels yes at /usr/src with a symlink pointing to my active one
> which DOESN'T have any DVB stuff compiled in at all. I got the latest
> gentoo-sources kernel to experiment with and ultimately to switch over to,
> booted into it.. and downloaded the v4l using mercurial did the make
> install and it all worked grandly. but how do i know where it has put its
> modules, if it puts them under /usr/src/linux or gets any kernal info from
> there then they are in the wrong place. But if it is clever enough to know
> what kernel i am currently booted into and put them in the correct place
> accordingly then I am still stumped as i cant get this blasted card to
> work.

it should put the modules in the correct lib/modules/`uname -r `directory.
What doesn't work? Do you load the right modules? Is it sound?

> Can you also recommend some kernel debug options i can turn on? Can they be
> done as parameters to the kernel instead of compiled in? i have plug and
> play debug and some USB debug but i'd like more!

no, not really. All problems I ever had were 'it just doesn't work, use
external modules', 'no sound, reconnect card' and 'no sound, because I forgot
to unmute someone'.