Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Jon Hardcastle

Default Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux

Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new Hauppage USB tv stick to work under linux.

I have been constantly perplexed by references to compilable kernel modules I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they referred to old modules or something.

But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run make menuconfig on that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have 10's of TV card chipset drivers availible to compile whereas gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.

Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this might be?

Thank you

(This is my first mailing list post - please be gentle!)

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
'The writing is on the wall...'
-----------------------

Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new Hauppage USB tv stick to
> work under linux.
>
> I have been constantly perplexed by references to compilable kernel modules
> I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they referred to old modules or
> something.
>
> But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run make menuconfig on
> that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have 10's of TV card chipset
> drivers availible to compile whereas gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
> on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
>
> Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this might be?
>
> Thank you
>
> (This is my first mailing list post - please be gentle!)
>
> -----------------------
> N: Jon Hardcastle
> E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
> 'The writing is on the wall...'
> -----------------------

because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are developed outside of the main
kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under experimental.

For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial rep and do a make, make
install in it do get drivers that work. And with 'work' I mean: no sound on
first try, but after disconnecting the stick and reconnecting it, it suddenly
works.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Jon Hardcastle

> On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new
> Hauppage USB tv stick to
> > work under linux.
> >
> > I have been constantly perplexed by references to
> compilable kernel modules
> > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they
> referred to old modules or
> > something.
> >
> > But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run
> make menuconfig on
> > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have
> 10's of TV card chipset
> > drivers availible to compile whereas
> gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
> > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
> >
> > Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this
> might be?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > (This is my first mailing list post - please be
> gentle!)
> >
> > -----------------------
> > N: Jon Hardcastle
> > E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
> > 'The writing is on the wall...'
> > -----------------------
>
> because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are developed
> outside of the main
> kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
> experimental.
>
> For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial rep and
> do a make, make
> install in it do get drivers that work. And with
> 'work' I mean: no sound on
> first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
> reconnecting it, it suddenly
> works.

Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the option to add support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add steps to the menuconfig?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> --- On Mon, 29/9/08, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-
clausthal.de> wrote:
> > From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de>
> > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
> > To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> > Date: Monday, 29 September, 2008, 10:59 AM
> >
> > On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> > > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new
> >
> > Hauppage USB tv stick to
> >
> > > work under linux.
> > >
> > > I have been constantly perplexed by references to
> >
> > compilable kernel modules
> >
> > > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they
> >
> > referred to old modules or
> >
> > > something.
> > >
> > > But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run
> >
> > make menuconfig on
> >
> > > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have
> >
> > 10's of TV card chipset
> >
> > > drivers availible to compile whereas
> >
> > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
> >
> > > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
> > >
> > > Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this
> >
> > might be?
> >
> > > Thank you
> > >
> > > (This is my first mailing list post - please be
> >
> > gentle!)
> >
> > > -----------------------
> > > N: Jon Hardcastle
> > > E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
> > > 'The writing is on the wall...'
> > > -----------------------
> >
> > because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are developed
> > outside of the main
> > kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
> > experimental.
> >
> > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial rep and
> > do a make, make
> > install in it do get drivers that work. And with
> > 'work' I mean: no sound on
> > first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
> > reconnecting it, it suddenly
> > works.
>
> Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the option to add
> support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add steps to the
> menuconfig?

no.
it just installs all the drivers in the rep as modules. It doesn't touch any
configs at all.