Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default State of ATi drivers in Linux

On Sunday 28 September 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am contemplating building a new computer with an AMD/ATi graphics
> card. I've been following the subject of ATi driver quality in linux for
> a while, but I realize that the experiences I read on Google search
> results are, shall we say, biased, as many people who have perfectly
> working cards don't go out and comment on how great their drivers are.
>
> So, do any of you have newer (HD series) AMD/ATi graphics cards?

HD3870

> What drivers (AMD closed source, or open source) are you using?

fglrx - the closed source ones.

> Are they stable?

yes. Switching between vt and X works, and restarting X too - but the ati
scripts in /etc/acpi have to be removed.
With desktop effects turned off 2d is fast and snappy and video is ok.
With desktop effects turned on 2d is fast except manually resizing windows and
xv-video sucks. Luckily kde 4.1 makes it easy to switch - and I don't need
xv

> How is the performance?

very good. I play ut2004 and vegastrike 0.5. With a but. See above.

> Any noise issues with your card when it's idle? Under load?

the fan is very quiet in KDE or playing games. Only in the menus of ut2004 or
on a vt it turns up - but is still very bearable.
aticonfig --odgt

Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 3870
Sensor 0: Temperature - 51.00 C

Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM