Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Hal Martin

Default State of ATi drivers in Linux

Hello all,

I am contemplating building a new computer with an AMD/ATi graphics
card. I've been following the subject of ATi driver quality in linux for
a while, but I realize that the experiences I read on Google search
results are, shall we say, biased, as many people who have perfectly
working cards don't go out and comment on how great their drivers are.

So, do any of you have newer (HD series) AMD/ATi graphics cards?
What drivers (AMD closed source, or open source) are you using?
Are they stable?
How is the performance?
Any noise issues with your card when it's idle? Under load?

I'd just like to point out that I have an NVidia 7900GTX right now, and
it's been working well for me, but I'd like to upgrade to something with
stream processors and little more power. I've heard that NVidia 2D
performance under linux suffers greatly if you have an 8000, 9000, or GX
series card. Have any of your experienced poor 2D performance since
upgrading your NVidia card?

Thanks,
-Hal