Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Willie Wong

Default Absolutely no sound whatsoever after latest emerge update

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 03:35:04AM -0400, Penguin Lover Walter Dnes squawked:
> Namely, restart alsasound (as root).
>
> /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
>
> I've put this in my /etc/conf.d/local.start

Why is it necessary to put that in /etc/conf.d/local.start? Shouldn't
the reboot make alsasound start clean already?

A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 659 days, 18:15

Old 09-27-2008, 10:53 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 09:47:27PM +0200, Tamer Higazi wrote
> why do you guys make it more complicated as it is?!
>
> Just write in the shell:
>
> rc-update add alsasound default

I *DO* have alsasound in my default. Since you obviously have not
read the URL I pointed to, here is a partial quote...

> I stopped esound (esd) and alsasound systems (this is under Gentoo).
> Upon restarting the alsasound system, the low level sound driver
> modules (snd_intel8x0m, snd_intel8x0, snd_ac97_codec, ac97_bus),
> perhaps others, got loaded and they were not loaded when the "unable
> to open slave" message was being generated. Subsequently mplayer
> was able to load and play audio tracks.
>
> So this message may be associated with hardware level drivers being
> unavailable for some reason.

The problem seems to be a dependancy on some resource that is not
available early on in the boot process. Re-starting the alsasound
daemon later on works around that problem.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 08:05:06PM -0500, Dale wrote

> This may be waaay off here, do you have that parallel start up thing
> turned on? You know, where multiple services can be started at
> the same time without waiting for the startup to complete. I read
> somewhere a while back where some were having various trouble but
> not lately. If you do, may want to try it with it turned off and
> see if that helps.

I hadn't thought of that, but my/etc/conf.d/rc has....
RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no"

Thanks for the sauggetsion anyways.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>