Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Willie Wong

Default Absolutely no sound whatsoever after latest emerge update

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:14:48AM -0400, Penguin Lover Walter Dnes squawked:
> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:996snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
> DVB card number must be between 1 and 4
> AO: [null] 22050Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)

This points to an issue with your alsa configuration/installation.

> mpg123 doesn't work
>
> [d530][waltdnes][~] mpg123 /home/misc/music/pop_standards/Tennessee_Waltz_-_Patti_Page.mp3
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> [alsa.c:146] error: cannot open device default
> [audio.c:517] error: failed to open audio device
> [mpg123.c:709] error: Failed to initialize output, goodbye.

Same error as above, a problem with alsa.

> neither does mpg321
>
> [d530][waltdnes][~] mpg321 /home/misc/music/pop_standards/Tennessee_Waltz_-_Patti_Page.mp3
> No default libao driver available.

Not quite sure what the error is, perhaps you need to run mpg321
verbosely.
> my make.conf contains the following lines of interest
>
> USE="-* X a52 aac bzip2 dga doc dri exif ffmpeg flac gif jpeg mmx mng mp3 mpeg nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl png posix sse sse2 theora threads tiff truetype vim-syntax vorbis win32codecs wmf xcomposite xpm xv xvid zlib"
> ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol"

So it seems you have all the plugins for ALSA enabled.

> and uname says...
>
> [d530][waltdnes][~] uname -a
> Linux d530 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP Wed Aug 13 02:42:40 EDT 2008 i686
> Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Just shooting randomly in the dark here:
* Did you update alsa recently? Do you have old alsa pcm
configurations files from before? Maybe those files are screwing
things up.
* Kernel module for your sound card?

(aikamuotojen käyttö aikamatkustuksessa)
"You can arrive (mayan arivan on-when) for any sitting you
like without prior (late fore-when) reservation because you
can book retrospectively, as it were when you return to
your own time. (you can have on-book haventa forewhen
presooning returningwenta retrohome.) "
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 658 days, 12:57