Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

Default suggest not-net-hungry Linux

No, no, no!... I was, is and am going to be on Gentoo. Just want to install
Linux to my friend's PC. I can download installation CD iso (or two), but
the main problem is, that PC during next few months will have dialup
connection (33600) only. As a result, I need to choose Linux with minimal
net traffic in mind (just security updates will be sufficient). There are
no any special demands (OOo, images and PDF viewer, Firefox, Thunderbird
and Krusader (or other two panel file manager) will be a sufficient apps
set for beginning, + booting to level 5).

Suggestions?

P.S. You see, there is a little sense to address this question to, say, suse
or ubuntu or other candidate's community :-) - so, excuse please for OT.

Andrew

Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Erik Hahn

I think Suse would be suitable. AFAIK they have a updates-only policy
(you might even be able to choose only to use security updates but I'm
not sure - I used it only a short time) and use delta packages.

-Erik

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Philip Webb

080926 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> I want to install Linux to my friend's PC.
> I can download installation CD iso (or two), but the main problem is
> that PC during next few months will have dialup connection (33600) only.

Mandriva is what I used before Gentoo (2000-3)
& it seems to remain the best all-purpose binary distro.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 09-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Anthony Metcalf

Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> No, no, no!... I was, is and am going to be on Gentoo. Just want to install
> Linux to my friend's PC. I can download installation CD iso (or two), but
> the main problem is, that PC during next few months will have dialup
> connection (33600) only. As a result, I need to choose Linux with minimal
> net traffic in mind (just security updates will be sufficient). There are
> no any special demands (OOo, images and PDF viewer, Firefox, Thunderbird
> and Krusader (or other two panel file manager) will be a sufficient apps
> set for beginning, + booting to level 5).
>
> Suggestions?
>
> P.S. You see, there is a little sense to address this question to, say, suse
> or ubuntu or other candidate's community :-) - so, excuse please for OT.
>

> Andrew

Gentoo is only net-hungry on the install and on updates.....If you can
do the install before he goes net-free, then your fine, glsa-check
should cover you for the updates....

I would assume that in most cases source tarballs will be smaller than
binaries to download too

--
Please consider encrypting private mails - PGP Key ID 0x91F57667
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x91F57667&op=index

Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Steven Lembark

Gentoo is only net-hungry on the install and on updates.....If you can
do the install before he goes net-free, then your fine, glsa-check
should cover you for the updates....

I would assume that in most cases source tarballs will be smaller than
binaries to download too

If you can download the runtime image
+ portage beforehand onto a thumb drive
or DVD's the Gentoo install isn't even
all that net hungry.

You might find that Damn Small Linux is,
well, damn small and doesn't take that
much bandwidth to download.

--
Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421

Old 09-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Friday 26 September 2008, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> No, no, no!... I was, is and am going to be on Gentoo. Just want to install
> Linux to my friend's PC. I can download installation CD iso (or two), but
> the main problem is, that PC during next few months will have dialup
> connection (33600) only. As a result, I need to choose Linux with minimal
> net traffic in mind (just security updates will be sufficient). There are
> no any special demands (OOo, images and PDF viewer, Firefox, Thunderbird
> and Krusader (or other two panel file manager) will be a sufficient apps
> set for beginning, + booting to level 5).
>
> Suggestions?

opensuse or slackware

Old 09-27-2008, 03:41 AM
"jaeyoung lee"

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Steven Lembark <lembark@wrkhors.com> wrote:

Gentoo is only net-hungry on the install and on updates.....If you can
do the install before he goes net-free, then your fine, glsa-check

should cover you for the updates....

I would assume that in most cases source tarballs will be smaller than
binaries to download too

If you can download the runtime image
+ portage beforehand onto a thumb drive

or DVD's the Gentoo install isn't even
all that net hungry.

You might find that Damn Small Linux is,
well, damn small and doesn't take that
much bandwidth to download.

--
Steven Lembark * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Woodhaven, NY, 11421
lembark@wrkhors.com * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *+1 888 359 3508

you can use ArchLinux it's also good
--
Only freebsd openbsd gentoo-linux windows2008

Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Saturday 27 September 2008, jaeyoung lee wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Steven Lembark <lembark@wrkhors.com> wrote:
> > Gentoo is only net-hungry on the install and on updates.....If you can
> >
> >> do the install before he goes net-free, then your fine, glsa-check
> >> should cover you for the updates....
> >>
> >> I would assume that in most cases source tarballs will be smaller than
> >> binaries to download too
> >
> > If you can download the runtime image
> > + portage beforehand onto a thumb drive
> > or DVD's the Gentoo install isn't even
> > all that net hungry.
> >
> > You might find that Damn Small Linux is,
> > well, damn small and doesn't take that
> > much bandwidth to download.
> >
> > --
> > Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
> > Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421
> > lembark@wrkhors.com +1 888 359 3508
>
> you can use ArchLinux it's also good

except when it replaces a package with a higher version one without any kind
of information to distinguish them (vmlinuz? but which one?)

Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Anton Kochnev

В сообщении от Friday 26 September 2008 22:38:36 Andrew Gaydenko написал(а):
> No, no, no!... I was, is and am going to be on Gentoo. Just want to install
> Linux to my friend's PC. I can download installation CD iso (or two), but
> the main problem is, that PC during next few months will have dialup
> connection (33600) only. As a result, I need to choose Linux with minimal
> net traffic in mind (just security updates will be sufficient). There are
> no any special demands (OOo, images and PDF viewer, Firefox, Thunderbird
> and Krusader (or other two panel file manager) will be a sufficient apps
> set for beginning, + booting to level 5).
>
> Suggestions?
>
> P.S. You see, there is a little sense to address this question to, say,
> suse or ubuntu or other candidate's community :-) - so, excuse please for
> OT.
>

> Andrew

I have been using gentoo two years. And I have dialup connection only. My
desktop - KDE.

The secret is: emerge-delta-webrsync for updating portages and deltup for
sources.

--
Best regargs,
Anton Kochnev

Contact:
JID anthonio@jabber.icc.ru

Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Saturday 27 September 2008, Anton Kochnev wrote: =======

> I have been using gentoo two years. And I have dialup connection only. My
> desktop - KDE.
>
> The secret is: emerge-delta-webrsync for updating portages and deltup for
> sources.

That user isn't Gentoo-compatible :-)