Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Tool for monitoring what's using the hard drive

Is there a tool similar to `top` that will tell me what's using my hard
drive? My hard drive clicks a lot when I don't think it should, and I'd
really like to know what program is using it. Sometimes it's so bad
that I have to manually power down the machine and restart it...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Justin

Michael Sullivan schrieb:

Is there a tool similar to `top` that will tell me what's using my hard
drive? My hard drive clicks a lot when I don't think it should, and I'd
really like to know what program is using it. Sometimes it's so bad
that I have to manually power down the machine and restart it...

sys-process/iotop

or

sys-process/latencytop, but I would suggestion the first, because it its
more your needs.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Johann Schmitz

Try sys-process/iotop:
Iotop has a top-like UI used to show which process is using the I/O.
--
Johann Schmitz
http://www.j-schmitz.net

Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 PM
zhen

Michael Sullivan пишет:

Is there a tool similar to `top` that will tell me what's using my hard
drive? My hard drive clicks a lot when I don't think it should, and I'd
really like to know what program is using it. Sometimes it's so bad
that I have to manually power down the machine and restart it...

At first look at your swap consumption with help of utility 'free'. May
be you have not enough memory...

best regards,
Zhen

Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Michael Sullivan
<michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> Is there a tool similar to `top` that will tell me what's using my hard
> drive? My hard drive clicks a lot when I don't think it should, and I'd
> really like to know what program is using it. Sometimes it's so bad
> that I have to manually power down the machine and restart it...

In addition to the suggestions from the others, 'lsof' will show you
which files are open by what programs at any given time.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
"Liviu Andronic"

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Michael Sullivan
<michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> Is there a tool similar to `top` that will tell me what's using my hard
> drive? My hard drive clicks a lot when I don't think it should, and I'd
> really like to know what program is using it. Sometimes it's so bad
> that I have to manually power down the machine and restart it...

# emerge app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools
# lm-profiler

Liviu

Fri Sep 26 19:30:02 2008