FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Erik Hahn
 
Default epiphany & flash

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:12:27AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> Firefox is crashing on me all the time. I searched for an alternative
> and came up with epiphany. I like it but I can't get flash to work.
Chances are Epiphany is more stable *because* you don't have Flash in
it - it often causes Firefix to crash. I recommend to either try one
of the open source alternatives or install Flashblock [1].

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/433

-Erik
--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
 
Old 09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Grant
 
Default epiphany & flash

>> Firefox is crashing on me all the time. I searched for an alternative
>> and came up with epiphany. I like it but I can't get flash to work.
> Chances are Epiphany is more stable *because* you don't have Flash in
> it - it often causes Firefix to crash. I recommend to either try one
> of the open source alternatives or install Flashblock [1].

Do you mean open-source alternatives to netscape-flash? If so, can
you recommend one?

- Grant
 
Old 09-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Erik Hahn
 
Default epiphany & flash

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:54:52AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> Do you mean open-source alternatives to netscape-flash? If so, can
> you recommend one?
I personally use netscape-flash because the open source don't support
flash completely. There are two alternatives:

* gnash
* swfdec (swfdec-mozilla for the plugin)

-Erik
--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
 
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Benjamin Leggett
 
Default epiphany & flash

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:12:27 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Firefox is crashing on me all the time. I searched for an alternative
> and came up with epiphany. I like it but I can't get flash to work.
> I've emerged epiphany with the xulrunner USE flag and I've re-emerged
> netscape-flash with no luck. Does anyone know how to get flash
> working? Can java be made to work too?
>
> - Grant
>

Epiphany is pretty crashy with netscape-flash here. As has been said,
it's a flsh problem, not a firefox/epiphany one persay.

I'm using gnash here, and it works about 70% percent of the time for
YouTube.

Ben Leggett


--
20iNo, I can stop using vi any time I want
to.[enter][esc]19dkk2W3li't[esc]4wh6dw --dirkson, #vim
 
Old 09-25-2008, 05:34 PM
James
 
Default epiphany & flash

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

>
> Firefox is crashing on me all the time. I searched for an alternative
> and came up with epiphany. I like it but I can't get flash to work.
> I've emerged epiphany with the xulrunner USE flag and I've re-emerged
> netscape-flash with no luck. Does anyone know how to get flash
> working? Can java be made to work too?

Seamonkey seems to be working fine with flash
I do not use it tons, but a few times a day and it seems to be just
fine with Seamonkey. This has not always been the case though....


hth,
James
 
Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Erik Hahn
 
Default epiphany & flash

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:34:47PM +0000, James wrote:
> Seamonkey seems to be working fine with flash
> I do not use it tons, but a few times a day and it seems to be just
> fine with Seamonkey. This has not always been the case though....
Whether flash works or not seems to be pretty random. I once could
improve the issue by reinstalling flash although everything was -
actually - exactly the same as before reinstalling.

-Erik
--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Matthias Bethke
 
Default epiphany & flash

Hi Erik,
on Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:34:11PM +0200, you wrote:
> Chances are Epiphany is more stable *because* you don't have Flash in
> it - it often causes Firefix to crash.

Likely. Pretty much the only reason of FF3 crashes here.

> I recommend to either try one of the open source alternatives or
> install Flashblock [1].

Note however that this can make flash even more unstable in combination
with other blockers like NoScript. I had Flashblock installed since
the time when NoScript didn't have this functionality and it caused FF
to crash 90% of the time I manually started a YouTube video. Since
NoScript can do it, I got rid of Flashblock, whitelisted a few sites and
have since had FF uptimes of weeks again.

cheers,
Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665
 
Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 PM
james
 
Default epiphany & flash

Erik Hahn <erik_hahn <at> gmx.de> writes:


> Whether flash works or not seems to be pretty random. I once could
> improve the issue by reinstalling flash although everything was -
> actually - exactly the same as before reinstalling.

Yes, I've seen this behavior too.

It's working pretty sporty right now with seamonkey.

hth,
James
 
Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Grant
 
Default epiphany & flash

>> Firefox is crashing on me all the time. I searched for an alternative
>> and came up with epiphany. I like it but I can't get flash to work.
> Chances are Epiphany is more stable *because* you don't have Flash in
> it - it often causes Firefix to crash. I recommend to either try one
> of the open source alternatives or install Flashblock [1].

I've got flashblock installed and it works with youtube.com as far as
being able to click and play the video, but not cnn.com. Do you find
it works pretty well in general?

- Grant
 
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Erik Hahn
 
Default epiphany & flash

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:42:14AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> I've got flashblock installed and it works with youtube.com as far as
> being able to click and play the video, but not cnn.com. Do you find
> it works pretty well in general?

I've never had any problem with it. Does it work without Flashblock?

There might be an icon in the status bar to temporarily disable
Flashblock completely (I've used Noscript, not Flashblock for a while,
though).

-Erik

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org