Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Thomas Kahle

Default Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra

Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Marc Joliet

Am Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:05:20 +0900
schrieb SOrCErEr <omentie@gmail.com>:

> Hello~
>
> Yesterday, I did update my gentoo like this.
>
> $ sudo emerge --update --deep --newuse world
>
> As a result, one of the updated package tiff said like this.
> * Messages for package media-libs/tiff-3.8.2-r5:
>
> * JBIG support is intended for Hylafax fax compression, so we
> * really need more feedback in other areas (most testing has
> * been done with fax). Be sure to recompile anything linked
> * against tiff if you rebuild it with jbig support.
>
> So I checked what package linked with libtiff(Actually, there is no need to
> do this. I just want to know).
>
> $ revdep-rebuild -p --library /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
>
> Then, revdep-rebuild display like this.
> [ebuild R ] media-libs/tiff-3.8.2-r5
> [ebuild R ] media-gfx/imagemagick-6.4.3.5
> [ebuild R ] media-libs/lcms-1.17
> [ebuild U ] media-libs/vigra-1.6.0 [1.5.0-r1]
> [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.8-r1
> [ebuild R ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.12.12
> [ebuild R ] app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.63
> [ebuild R ] app-text/evince-2.22.2-r1
> [ebuild R ] media-gfx/gthumb-2.10.9
>

> As you can see, there is a package "vigra" with flag "U".
> As I know, U is need to update, and if I do emerge --update world, it will
> be update.
>
> But there is no "vigra" in result of "emerge -p --update world"(with --deep
> also).
> Of course, it still shows flag "U" if I do "emerge -p vigra"
>
> What is difference with emerge --update world and emerge vigra?
> And how can I update all new package without exceptions?
>
> If you know, please let me know.

I think it should show up with

emerge -p --update [--deep] --with-bdeps=y world

if it's only a build-time dependency.

--
Marc Joliet

Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Thursday 25 September 2008, Thomas Kahle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ~ > Then, revdep-rebuild display like this.
>
> | [ebuild R ] media-libs/tiff-3.8.2-r5
> | [ebuild R ] media-gfx/imagemagick-6.4.3.5
> | [ebuild R ] media-libs/lcms-1.17
> | [ebuild U ] media-libs/vigra-1.6.0 [1.5.0-r1]
> | [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.8-r1
> | [ebuild R ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.12.12
> | [ebuild R ] app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.63
> | [ebuild R ] app-text/evince-2.22.2-r1
> | [ebuild R ] media-gfx/gthumb-2.10.9
>
> ~ > But there is no "vigra" in result of "emerge -p --update world"(with
>
> | --deep also).
> | Of course, it still shows flag "U" if I do "emerge -p vigra"
> |
> | What is difference with emerge --update world and emerge vigra?
> | And how can I update all new package without exceptions?
>
> I am also curious to know why portage just "forgets" to update certain
> packages. What I used to do to find them is a plain
> eix -I | grep "[u]"
> which just greps for the pattern [u] marking an upgradeable package.
> Then you can format this list and run
> emerge -1 `insert packagelist here`
> The -1 is important to not register these packages in your world file,
> which you probably don't wont for some package that only is a dependency.
>
> Still, I would like to know how this happens...
>
> hth
> Tom

a) dependencies are not listed in world.

b) an 'orphaned' dependency wouldn't get caught with --deep.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 25 September 2008 06:05:20 SOrCErEr wrote:
> As you can see, there is a package "vigra" with flag "U".
> As I know, U is need to update, and if I do emerge --update world, it will
> be update.
>
> But there is no "vigra" in result of "emerge -p --update world"(with --deep
> also).
> Of course, it still shows flag "U" if I do "emerge -p vigra"
>
> What is difference with emerge --update world and emerge vigra?
> And how can I update all new package without exceptions?

try using --with-bdeps=y

Ref: man emerge

The difference is that some dependant packages are only required to *build*
something else, not to *run* it. So, the dependant package is only remerged
when the package is depends on is itself rebuilt. --with-bdeps=y removes this
exception

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
SOrCErEr

$* eix -l|grep "[u]"
[u] app-arch/rpm2targz
[u] app-editors/gedit
[u] app-text/build-docbook-catalog
[u] app-text/docbook-xml-dtd
[u] app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets
[u] app-text/libspectre

[u] dev-lang/python
[u] dev-lang/swig
[u] dev-libs/libcdio
[u] dev-perl/Compress-Raw-Zlib
[u] dev-perl/Compress-Zlib
[u] dev-perl/IO-Compress-Base
[u] dev-perl/IO-Compress-Zlib
[u] dev-python/pyopengl

[u] dev-util/cmake
[u] gnome-base/gdm
[u] gnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor
[u] gnome-extra/gtkhtml
[u] gnome-extra/yelp
[u] media-gfx/eog
[u] media-libs/musicbrainz
[u] media-libs/swfdec
[u] media-libs/vigra

[u] media-sound/cdparanoia
[u] media-sound/sound-juicer
[u] media-video/ffmpeg
[u] net-analyzer/traceroute
[u] net-libs/gtk-vnc
[u] net-misc/whois
[u] sys-apps/ed
[u] sys-libs/db
[u] sys-libs/gpm

[u] www-client/epiphany
[u] x11-libs/gtksourceview

$ emerge -p --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
[ebuild**** U ] app-text/build-docbook-catalog-1.4 [1.2]
[ebuild**** U ] app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0.0.3g [9.0-r7]

[ebuild**** U ] dev-perl/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.015 [2.012] USE="-test%"
[ebuild**** U ] dev-perl/IO-Compress-Base-2.015 [2.012] USE="-test%"
[ebuild**** U ] dev-perl/IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015 [2.012] USE="-test%"

[ebuild**** U ] dev-perl/Compress-Zlib-2.015 [2.012] USE="-test%"
[ebuild**** U ] sys-apps/ed-1.0 [0.9]
[ebuild**** U ] app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets-1.74.0 [1.73.2]
[ebuild* N*** ] dev-libs/xmlrpc-c-1.14.07-r1* USE="curl cxx"

[ebuild**** U ] dev-util/cmake-2.6.1 [2.4.6-r1] USE="-qt4%"
[ebuild**** U ] dev-lang/swig-1.3.36 [1.3.34] USE="-octave%"

As you can see, result of eix has vigra, but of emerge still doesn't have.

Also, many of flag U package is excepted from emerge --update.

If so, I think Gentoo's world is not whole world.

Package was installed and it needs to be update. But it's not in world. So... I don't know.

It's very... odd.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
"Vladimir Rusinov"