Old 09-24-2008, 02:34 AM
"Andrey Vul"

Default hduitil for linux

Is there a hdiutil clone for Linux? mkisofs lacks HFS+ support and my
SSE3-capable computer is still compiling KDE. It will take a long
while to get OSX inside VMware working.

--
Andrey Vul

Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 AM

"Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a hdiutil clone for Linux? mkisofs lacks HFS+ support and my
> SSE3-capable computer is still compiling KDE. It will take a long
> while to get OSX inside VMware working.

Why do you believe that you need HFS+ at all?

mkisofs supports Apple MAC UDF extensions since Spring 2007.

Just have a look at the man page and use the same options as you would
use to create HFS but in addition add:

-UDF to enable a non-anonymous UDF hybrid file system

-no-hfs to turn off creating a ISO9660/HFS hybrid
when UDF based Mac OS extensions are used.

This uses code that was developped by the German Company Helios that is
specialized on selling self created SunOS (and now also others) based file
servers to turn off creating a ISO9660/HFS hybrid when UDF based Mac OS
extensions are used for Apple products since more than 20 years. As Helios
uses mkisofs and it's UDF MAC extensions for backups, this could be called
the only known mature solution.

P.S. make sure you are not using the outdated mkisofs clone from Debian.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a hdiutil clone for Linux? mkisofs lacks HFS+ support and my
>> SSE3-capable computer is still compiling KDE. It will take a long
>> while to get OSX inside VMware working.
>
> Why do you believe that you need HFS+ at all?
Because I have paths which exceed the HFS limit and lead to
truncation, in addition to symlinks. Both work incorrectly.
E.g.,
HFS+ directory name: Garritan Instruments for Finale 2009
HFS directory name: Garritan Instruments for Finale

I want my remastered (backup) to look exactly like the original:
Joliet(or ISO9660:1999) for Windows and HFS+ for OS X.

> mkisofs supports Apple MAC UDF extensions since Spring 2007.
UDF != HFS+

--
Andrey Vul

Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 PM

"Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why do you believe that you need HFS+ at all?
> Because I have paths which exceed the HFS limit and lead to
> truncation, in addition to symlinks. Both work incorrectly.
> E.g.,
> HFS+ directory name: Garritan Instruments for Finale 2009
> HFS directory name: Garritan Instruments for Finale

No problem for UDF!

> I want my remastered (backup) to look exactly like the original:
> Joliet(or ISO9660:1999) for Windows and HFS+ for OS X.
> >
> > mkisofs supports Apple MAC UDF extensions since Spring 2007.
> UDF != HFS+

Correct, but I still see no reason why HFS+ is required.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Why do you believe that you need HFS+ at all?
>> Because I have paths which exceed the HFS limit and lead to
>> truncation, in addition to symlinks. Both work incorrectly.
>> E.g.,
>> HFS+ directory name: Garritan Instruments for Finale 2009
>> HFS directory name: Garritan Instruments for Finale
>
> No problem for UDF!
>
>> I want my remastered (backup) to look exactly like the original:
>> Joliet(or ISO9660:1999) for Windows and HFS+ for OS X.
>> >
>> > mkisofs supports Apple MAC UDF extensions since Spring 2007.
>> UDF != HFS+
>
> Correct, but I still see no reason why HFS+ is required.
Have you mastered OS X install CD/DVDs using AppleUDF and have them
behave identically to HFS+ CD/DVDs?
Also, AFAIK UDF doesn't support embedded control characters in files
(i.e. Icon
).

--
Andrey Vul

Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM

"Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Correct, but I still see no reason why HFS+ is required.
> Have you mastered OS X install CD/DVDs using AppleUDF and have them
> behave identically to HFS+ CD/DVDs?

Did you?

Why do your answers look as if you were unwilling to even give it a try?

> Also, AFAIK UDF doesn't support embedded control characters in files
> (i.e. Icon
).

This claim is of course wrong.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 AM
"Andrey Vul"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, AFAIK UDF doesn't support embedded control characters in files
>> (i.e. Icon
).

> This claim is of course wrong.
I beg to differ.
Output of ls -Alh in the Installer.app dir is supposed to show
"Icon?". UDF image shows "Icon_" instead.
This is enough for me to lose trust in UDF for hybrid CD/DVDs

mkisofs command: mkisofs -o fin2k9.iso -udf -iso-level 4 -V "Finale
2009" /mnt/iso0
/mnt/iso0 is an hfs+ mountpoint from fin2k9.dmg
mkisofs version: mkisofs 2.01.01a42 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997-2008 Jörg Schilling

--
Andrey Vul

Old 09-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Andrey Vul (andrey.vul@gmail.com) [26.09.08 04:45]:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Joerg Schilling
> <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > "Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Also, AFAIK UDF doesn't support embedded control characters in files
> >> (i.e. Icon
).

> > This claim is of course wrong.
> I beg to differ.
> Output of ls -Alh in the Installer.app dir is supposed to show
> "Icon?". UDF image shows "Icon_" instead.
^
Are completely sure that this is a question mark?

> This is enough for me to lose trust in UDF for hybrid CD/DVDs

> 1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997-2008 Jörg Schilling
^^
Because this indicates some
problems with your locale and question marks are often used if a
charakter can't be displayed correctly.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Sebastian Günther
<samson@guenther-roetgen.de> wrote:
> * Andrey Vul (andrey.vul@gmail.com) [26.09.08 04:45]:
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Joerg Schilling
>> <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

).

>> > This claim is of course wrong.
>> I beg to differ.
>> Output of ls -Alh in the Installer.app dir is supposed to show
>> "Icon?". UDF image shows "Icon_" instead.
> ^
> Are completely sure that this is a question mark?
ls converts control characters into question marks unless -b is specified.

--
Andrey Vul

Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 PM

"Andrey Vul" <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Sebastian Günther
> <samson@guenther-roetgen.de> wrote:
> > * Andrey Vul (andrey.vul@gmail.com) [26.09.08 04:45]:

).

> >> I beg to differ.
> >> Output of ls -Alh in the Installer.app dir is supposed to show
> >> "Icon?". UDF image shows "Icon_" instead.
> > ^
> > Are completely sure that this is a question mark?
> ls converts control characters into question marks unless -b is specified.

ls does not mark
this way, gls may do.....

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)