Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Default IcyBox USB trouble

Hi,

This is a problem, which exists for a longer time for me...

I am running Gentoo Linux , which is updated regulary with Linux 2.6.26.5
vanilla kernel on a 3GB RAM system (AMD XP 3800+ X2 32bit/ASUS A8V w.
VIA Chipset). No overclocking, no tuning.

When I connect a IcyBox HD Case (ATA/IDE inside) via USB on the
running system, the first view minutes data transfers are ok and then
the transfer rate decreases down to 10kB/sec. Even the USB mouse
(Logitech) isn't useable anymore than...only reboot will help.

Inside the IceyBox there is a Cypress chipset used for the connection
between the IDE/ATA-HD and the USB port.

EHCI and UHCI are compiled as module (compiling them into the kernel
results in the same problem...).

What gives me some more time for an undisturbed transfer is rebooting
the system while the IcyBox is still attached to the system which
renders the sense of "hot pluggable" meaningless.

Is there any idea, what is going on here?
What can I do to solve the problem?
Is the hardware rotten? May be the RAM is weared out?
Or /dev/null needs to be emptied?

Any help is very appreciated!
Kind regards,
Meino Cramer