Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
"Michael Sullivan"

Default Weird networking problem

I?m trying to set up Gentoo in a Virtualbox on my laptop (running Windows
Vista). I?m using the 2007 liveCD image, although I?ve had this same
problem with the 2008 liveCD image. The problem is that I can access web
pages with links, like www.gentoo.org, but I can?t ping anything. Also,
when I tried to download the stage tarball in links, it just showed me a
console-graphical representation of the data in the tarball and would not
allow me to download the data as a tarball. When I tried to use wget to
get the data, it gave me the same problem as ping did ? that the location
did not exist. What should I do? The IP address of the laptop is
192.168.1.102 with the gw at 192.168.1.1, but ifconfig claims the laptop
is using inet address 10.0.2.15, yet still somehow it can get to
www.gentoo.org. What should I do?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Michael Sullivan (michael@espersunited.com) [21.09.08 21:59]:
> I?m trying to set up Gentoo in a Virtualbox on my laptop (running Windows
> Vista). I?m using the 2007 liveCD image, although I?ve had this same
> problem with the 2008 liveCD image. The problem is that I can access web
> pages with links, like www.gentoo.org, but I can?t ping anything. Also,
> when I tried to download the stage tarball in links, it just showed me a
> console-graphical representation of the data in the tarball and would not
> allow me to download the data as a tarball. When I tried to use wget to
> get the data, it gave me the same problem as ping did ? that the location
> did not exist. What should I do? The IP address of the laptop is
> 192.168.1.102 with the gw at 192.168.1.1, but ifconfig claims the laptop
> is using inet address 10.0.2.15, yet still somehow it can get to
> www.gentoo.org. What should I do?

Read the documentation of your virtualbox solution, search for bridging.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
"Michael Sullivan"

On Sun, September 21, 2008 3:53 pm, Sebastian Günther wrote:
> * Michael Sullivan (michael@espersunited.com) [21.09.08 21:59]:
>> I?m trying to set up Gentoo in a Virtualbox on my laptop (running
>> Windows
>> Vista). I?m using the 2007 liveCD image, although I?ve had this same
>> problem with the 2008 liveCD image. The problem is that I can access
>> web
>> pages with links, like www.gentoo.org, but I can?t ping anything. Also,
>> when I tried to download the stage tarball in links, it just showed me a
>> console-graphical representation of the data in the tarball and would
>> not
>> allow me to download the data as a tarball. When I tried to use wget to
>> get the data, it gave me the same problem as ping did ? that the
>> location
>> did not exist. What should I do? The IP address of the laptop is
>> 192.168.1.102 with the gw at 192.168.1.1, but ifconfig claims the laptop
>> is using inet address 10.0.2.15, yet still somehow it can get to
>> www.gentoo.org. What should I do?

In the VirtualBox user manual, the section that talks about bridging, it
says in one part:

If your host is running Windows XP or newer, you can also use the built-in
bridging
feature to connect your host interfaces to your physical network card.
After creating
the desired host interfaces, select your physical network adapter in the
Network Connections
folder and the desired host interface adapters and select ?Bridge
connections?
from the popup menu.

My laptop runs Windows Vista, but I don't know what is meant by the phrase
"Network Connections folder". Is it a virtualbox thing? Is it a Windows
thing? Either way, where is it?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Michael Sullivan (michael@espersunited.com) [22.09.08 01:16]:

> In the VirtualBox user manual, the section that talks about bridging, it
> says in one part:
>
> If your host is running Windows XP or newer, you can also use the built-in
> bridging
> feature to connect your host interfaces to your physical network card.
> After creating
> the desired host interfaces, select your physical network adapter in the
> Network Connections
> folder and the desired host interface adapters and select ?Bridge
> connections?
> from the popup menu.
>
> My laptop runs Windows Vista, but I don't know what is meant by the phrase
> "Network Connections folder". Is it a virtualbox thing? Is it a Windows
> thing? Either way, where is it?

It is the Windows thingy...

Sebastian

Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 07:24 +0200, Sebastian Günther wrote:
> * Michael Sullivan (michael@espersunited.com) [22.09.08 01:16]:
> >
> > In the VirtualBox user manual, the section that talks about bridging, it
> > says in one part:
> >
> > If your host is running Windows XP or newer, you can also use the built-in
> > bridging
> > feature to connect your host interfaces to your physical network card.
> > After creating
> > the desired host interfaces, select your physical network adapter in the
> > Network Connections
> > folder and the desired host interface adapters and select “Bridge
> > connections”
> > from the popup menu.
> >
> > My laptop runs Windows Vista, but I don't know what is meant by the phrase
> > "Network Connections folder". Is it a virtualbox thing? Is it a Windows
> > thing? Either way, where is it?
>
> It is the Windows thingy...
>
> Sebastian

Can you tell me where it is? Control Panel? Somewhere else?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Michael Sullivan (michael@espersunited.com) [22.09.08 13:39]:

> Can you tell me where it is? Control Panel? Somewhere else?

Not for sure, I have no Windows at hand at the moment.

I think it was Start > Settings > Network Something

Sebastian

Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
"Dannee McGuire"

2008/9/22 Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com>

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 07:24 +0200, Sebastian Günther wrote:

> * Michael Sullivan (michael@espersunited.com) [22.09.08 01:16]:

> > In the VirtualBox user manual, the section that talks about bridging, it

> > says in one part:

> > If your host is running Windows XP or newer, you can also use the built-in

> > bridging

> > feature to connect your host interfaces to your physical network card.

> > After creating

> > the desired host interfaces, select your physical network adapter in the

> > Network Connections

> > folder and the desired host interface adapters and select "Bridge

> > connections"

> > from the popup menu.

> > My laptop runs Windows Vista, but I don't know what is meant by the phrase

> > "Network Connections folder". *Is it a virtualbox thing? *Is it a Windows

> > thing? *Either way, where is it?

> It is the Windows thingy...

> Sebastian

Can you tell me where it is? *Control Panel? *Somewhere else?

*http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+network+connections

GIYF

Dannee