Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Momesso Andrea

Default Automatic host switching

My home server is 192.168.1.5 in my home wan, the hostname of the machine
is "fandango", and the the /etc/hosts in my laptop looks like this:

[...]
192.168.1.5 fandango

Sometimes I need to connect to the server while I'm far from home, so the
server has also a dyndns address, let's say "fandango.dyndns.org".

When I connect from outside my wan I use "fandango.dyndns.org", when I'm at
home just "fandango".

Is there a way to tell my laptop to always use "fandango" and,
if "192.168.1.5" is available, to resolve it this way, otherwise to resolve
it as "fandango.dyndns.org".

This way I will avoid double configurations, double password stored in
firefox, ecc...

Any ideas?

MOMESSO ANDREA
Jabber topper_harley@jabber.org

Old 09-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 21 September 2008 15:08:18 Momesso Andrea wrote:
> My home server is 192.168.1.5 in my home wan, the hostname of the machine
> is "fandango", and the the /etc/hosts in my laptop looks like this:
>
> [...]
> 192.168.1.5 fandango
>
> Sometimes I need to connect to the server while I'm far from home, so the
> server has also a dyndns address, let's say "fandango.dyndns.org".
>
> When I connect from outside my wan I use "fandango.dyndns.org", when I'm at
> home just "fandango".
>
> Is there a way to tell my laptop to always use "fandango" and,
> if "192.168.1.5" is available, to resolve it this way, otherwise to resolve
> it as "fandango.dyndns.org".
>
> This way I will avoid double configurations, double password stored in
> firefox, ecc...

I'm sure you can get very complex solutions to this, but have you tried
something as simple as "search dyndns.org" in resolv.conf?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com