Old 09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
"Astomi Chen"

Default Whether Gentoo framebuffer console support 1280*800?

Hi gentoo friends,

I'm a newbie in gentoo world.

I follow Gentoo Handbook to installl a new sytem in Vmware. My question is the new system console is 800*600. I want to change to 1280*800(my laptop in windows in this szie).

I search in Gentoo Forums, find a thread http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036 about this topic.

If I add video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317 in grub, system.failed to start.

*

Many thanks for any hint and advcies.

My menu.lst
default 0

timeout 10

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo
root=(hd0,0)

kernel=(hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317

*

Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Justin

Astomi Chen schrieb:

Hi gentoo friends,

I'm a newbie in gentoo world.

I follow Gentoo Handbook to installl a new sytem in Vmware. My
question is the new system console is 800*600. I want to change to
1280*800(my laptop in windows in this szie).

I search in Gentoo Forums, find a thread
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036 about this topic.

If I add video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317 in grub, system.failed to
start.

Many thanks for any hint and advcies.

*My menu.lst*

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo
root=(hd0,0)
kernel=(hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 *video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr
vga=0x317*

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Fbsplash#GRUB_Example

But read the rest of the articel concerning the installation of vesafb
and framebuffer support in general.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
»Q«

<http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/>
--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:23 AM
"Astomi Chen"

Thank you Justin and >>Q<<.

I will give a try this night.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 AM
"Conway S. Smith"

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:41:45 -0500
»Q« <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:52:05 +0800
> "Astomi Chen" <astomister@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi gentoo friends,
> >
> > I'm a newbie in gentoo world.
> >
> > I follow Gentoo Handbook to installl a new sytem in Vmware. My
> > question is the new system console is 800*600. I want to change to
> > 1280*800(my laptop in windows in this szie).
> >
> > I search in Gentoo Forums, find a thread
> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036 about this topic.
> >
> > If I add video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317 in grub, system.failed
> > to start.
>
> <http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/>

In my experience, uvesafb is slower & doesn't actually support any
more resolutions than vesafb, so I don't use it myself; other than
one really nifty uvesafb has. It probes the video card & attached
display to determine supported modes, and provides that list in
/sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes. So I'll use uvesafb to
get that list, and choose a resolution I want from it, and then use
vesafb w/ that video mode.

YMMV,
Conway S. Smith
--
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all
learned. (Bruce Ediger, bediger@teal.csn.org, in comp.os.linux.misc,

Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
"Astomi Chen"

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

I follow this guide compile the kernel, add video=uvesafb:1024x768-32,mtrr:3,ywrap line to grub kernel command line.

The framebuffer size didn't change, one more problem the console is very slow. When I input one character from keyboard, it respond 1 second later. I checked the system status(Top, free -m) it seems no problem.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM
sean

Astomi Chen wrote:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

I follow this guide compile the kernel, add
video=uvesafb:1024x768-32,mtrr:3,ywrap line to grub kernel command line.

The framebuffer size didn't change, one more problem the console is very
slow. When I input one character from keyboard, it respond 1 second
later. I checked the system status(Top, free -m) it seems no problem.

Here is mine, if it helps.
vga=0x31B video=vesafb:1280x1024-16,mtrr:3,ywrap

Perhaps you need the vga statement for your option at the beginning?