Old 09-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default kde confusion

On Sunday 21 September 2008 10:16:44 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> another problem which did exist before the bug in eix...
>
> After
>
> emerge --color=n --verbose --update --deep world
>
> I get a list of new/updatable package. And I got blocking packages as
> well.
> I (think to) know, what "blocked" means, but this:

"block" means that two packages cannot be installed on the same machine at the
same time. The most common reason is that they want to install the exact same
files, and portage would have no way of knowing which package provided a file
and if everything else that is necessary is actually on the system.

You have run slap bang into the infamous kde-meta problem :-)

Solution here:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde-split-ebuilds.xml

Beware: fixing this is relatively straightforward, but it is mind-numbingly
tedious and takes a long time while portage recompiles kde

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi Alan,

thanks for teh info and the link...

One short question:
Is this process a long process which needs interaction
of the user often or is it a long process, when prepared
compiles/does things alone for a long time (so I can start the whole
thing for a nightly run...)

Have a nice sunday!
mcc

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> [08-09-21 11:04]: