Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM
haoniukun

Default How can I upgrade my python version?

Dear all,
*
I've just upgraded my gentoo system.
I synchronized my portage tree just now.
It was installed about a year ago.
The python version is 2.4.4-r6.
But when I was trying to install python 2.5, I've got an eapi exception.
And the installation failed.
And my portage upgrade is also blocked due to the bash version.
How can I upgrade my portage?
*
Any hint would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

haoniukun wrote:

Dear all,

I've just upgraded my gentoo system.

I synchronized my portage tree just now.
It was installed about a year ago.
The python version is 2.4.4-r6.
But when I was trying to install python 2.5, I've got an eapi exception.
And the installation failed.
And my portage upgrade is also blocked due to the bash version.
How can I upgrade my portage?

Any hint would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

One year ago? I recommend a new install. If a Gentoo system isn't
updated for longer than about two months, hell tends to break loose on
the next sync.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Dale

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

haoniukun wrote:

Dear all,

I've just upgraded my gentoo system.

I synchronized my portage tree just now.
It was installed about a year ago.
The python version is 2.4.4-r6.
But when I was trying to install python 2.5, I've got an eapi exception.
And the installation failed.
And my portage upgrade is also blocked due to the bash version.
How can I upgrade my portage?

Any hint would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

One year ago? I recommend a new install. If a Gentoo system isn't
updated for longer than about two months, hell tends to break loose on
the next sync.

I seem to recall that he will have to go through the expat upgrade and a
couple other challenges as well. I agree, a re-install may be wise.
Save /etc, the world file and your /home directory. You may also want
to save /root if you have anything in there, scripts etc. Depending on
its use, you may need to save other directories as well.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 20 September 2008 16:44:09 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> haoniukun wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I've just upgraded my gentoo system.
> > I synchronized my portage tree just now.
> > It was installed about a year ago.
> > The python version is 2.4.4-r6.
> > But when I was trying to install python 2.5, I've got an eapi exception.
> > And the installation failed.
> > And my portage upgrade is also blocked due to the bash version.
> > How can I upgrade my portage?
> >
> > Any hint would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
>
> One year ago? I recommend a new install. If a Gentoo system isn't
> updated for longer than about two months, hell tends to break loose on
> the next sync.

That is very bad advice. Sounds like something a Windows user would say, and
the OP did NOT say that his machine has not been updated for a year. He said
it's a year old.

haoniukun, there's no reason to reinstall the system. I've man times updated
gentoo machines after 18 months or so. All hell does not break loose, but you
do have to look at the output and think about what you are doing. Your
problem sounds like the python/python-updater/bash conflict from a while ago.
It's trivially easy to get around. But for me to assist you I'm going to need
the emerge output. With gentoo, always put the output you get in the support
mail - because you are going to be asked for it anyway.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
"b.n."

Alan McKinnon ha scritto:

That is very bad advice. Sounds like something a Windows user would say, and
the OP did NOT say that his machine has not been updated for a year. He said
it's a year old.
haoniukun, there's no reason to reinstall the system. I've man times updated
gentoo machines after 18 months or so.

(In the hypothesis it has not been updated for a year). Yes, there is no
*reason* in the meaning that there is no absolute need for it, and that
everything can be fixed.

But reinstalling can nonetheless be the fastest, safest, easiest
alternative.

I understand the Linux community has some taboo related to reinstalling
as a mark of the "Microsoft evil", but we should just reason and take
into account it as one of the possibilities to consider (the problem is
that, in MS world, it is often the *only* possibility to consider).

m.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
haoniukun

Thank you for all your attention and reply.
I installed an older version of bash and reinstalled portage.
This works for me at least.
Now the system's working fine for me.
*
Thanks again for your reply.
*

在2008-09-21 01:29:18,"b.n." <brullonulla@gmail.com> 写道:

Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 21 September 2008 14:08:46 haoniukun wrote:
> Thank you for all your attention and reply.
> I installed an older version of bash and reinstalled portage.
> This works for me at least.
> Now the system's working fine for me.

You'll probably find that you can now update python, python-updater and bash
normally.

What happened way back is that a new portage took advantage of new bash
features, but in such a way that the new bash was required. Obviously, you
can't install this new portage with an old bash (stuff won't work), so
blockers were out in place. Trouble with that is, there is no way to tell
portage you are updating both and it should just go ahead and do it. Portage
will likely never do such a thing, as there is no guarantee when you start
emergeing two packages that they will both succeed, so portage can't
guarantee what the end result will be. The ideal solution would be to update
bash, then python but that wouldn't work either as portage would always
select them the wrong way round....

Sounds complex (it is), but fortunately this kind of thing is rare. I forget
the finer details now, but the general method was not to just update bash,
but to rather update it to an intermediate version, then update the other
packages (which didn't block) and finally update bash to the most recent
version.

IIRC at the time, the blocker messages were confusing in the extreme, it was
obvious to the developer what to do and not at all obvious to most other
people. Most of us spent a lot of time scratching our heads back then :-)

Welcome to the world of computers where the machine always does what you ask
not what you want :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com