Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
"b.n."

Default NTFS free space disappeared

Alan McKinnon ha scritto:

That's true enough, but I would still be mighty suspicious of those numbers.

He has a 31G filesystem, df says he has used 29G worth of blocks and du says
the total amount of data in those blocks is 19G. The difference is always
file allocation slack, but a full third of the filesystem?

It's not impossible of course. I don't know what the block size is on NTFS,
but with 1k, you'd need 10 million files each 1 byte to consume 10G of slack.
With 64k blocks it's something like 150,000 files. That's a whole lot of very
very tiny files - not impossible, but highly unlikely in normal usage[1]

It looks like that disk could bear some investigation, even if only for peace
of mind.

alan

[1] I wouldn't be surprised if NTFS had some insane block allocation policy
where this is quite common... or if MS has built some kind of hidden backup
region (aka AllYouBaseAreBelongToUsFS) into the filesystem that is invisible
to du

He said the Windows partition is infected. Could have some virus
corrupted the filesystem?

m.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

ert256 wrote:

Hello
I have some weird problem width NTFS partition in linux environment.
I have Knoppix LiveCD on some machine, which i want to clean out.
There was some virus and windows is unusable, so I'm copying data over
network to other machine, but what is the point
/media/sda5 is ntfs mounted in rea-only mode
root@Knoppix:/media# df -h
/dev/sda5 31G 29G 2.3G 93% /media/sda5
root@Knoppix:~# du -h --summarize /media/sda5/
19G /media/sda5/
I cannot fire up windows, because it is dangerous, and that windows on
this machine is broken.
Question is : Where is missing 10G on NTFS partition ? Can I safely
clean disk without risk of data loss?
Thank you

Run a 'chkdsk /F /V' on the disk. Repeatedly until you get no more
errors. Pull the data you want to keep to another HD and then do the
only thing that is able to reliably fix a Windows installation: Fresh
install with a reformat of the partition.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
ert256

Hello
Thank You for all your help.
There was knoppix launched, so i need to run M$ installation disk to
check disk.
There was couple of 'Unexpected reboots', so Filesystem may be a bit
corrupt.
I need to go to office, and do it over there, everything else i did
remotely.
I'll lunch Windows XP Installation disk, and run 'chkdsk /F /V'.
After everything I'll write back.
Bye

[ 20.09.2008 12:09 ], b.n. :

--
Rafał (ert16) Trójniak
m@il : ert256@gmail.com

Old 09-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Stroller

He has a 31G filesystem, df says he has used 29G worth of blocks and
du says
the total amount of data in those blocks is 19G. The difference is
always

file allocation slack, but a full third of the filesystem?

It's not impossible of course. I don't know what the block size is
on NTFS,
but with 1k, you'd need 10 million files each 1 byte to consume 10G
of slack.
With 64k blocks it's something like 150,000 files. That's a whole
lot of very
very tiny files - not impossible, but highly unlikely in normal
usage[1]

My last employer sold tills & stock control software - running on the
Windows 98 platform - to retail.

One version of their till software involved writing out the value of
food & drinks orders into little text files - of about 20 or 30 bytes
- in a shared directory. A "service" on the server would poll the
shared directories on a periodic basis, look for text files and - if
present - process them before deletion. On one memorable occasion a
"user misconfiguration" (a configuration which shouldn't have been
allowed by the buggy software) cased the text files to be written out
empty, and they thus went unprocessed.

I can't tell you how long this went on for - I am sure that less than
100 food orders would typically be taken per day, so it would surely
have taken forever to fill even the c 6gig drives that were standard
at the time, but I have an idea that the software perhaps started
making repeated attempts to write the data files, resulting in more
empty files on the disk.

In any case, you can imagine the results. Dialing in using PC Anywhere
over 56k was slow at the best of times - the GUI was particularly slow
once the machine ran out of disk space & pagefile, whilst deleting
these kazillions of zero-length files took several hours.

Stroller.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Stroller