Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Mick

Default Konqueror config window width

Hi All,

This is driving me up the wall and would love to find a solution:

For some reason when I click on the Konqueror crypto configuration, using my
Fluxbox WM, the window that comes up is ridiculously wide. Something like
twice the width of my screen! I have to drag it to the left/right if I want
to enter data in any of the fields. I tried resizing it by dragging the
bottom corners, but it is not possible. I can only increase it's width -
which is the opposite of what I want.

Have you come across this problem and how did you overcome it?
Mick

Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 20 September 2008 10:32:26 Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is driving me up the wall and would love to find a solution:
>
> For some reason when I click on the Konqueror crypto configuration, using
> my Fluxbox WM, the window that comes up is ridiculously wide. Something
> like twice the width of my screen! I have to drag it to the left/right if
> I want to enter data in any of the fields. I tried resizing it by dragging
> the bottom corners, but it is not possible. I can only increase it's width
> - which is the opposite of what I want.
>
> Have you come across this problem and how did you overcome it?

No such problem here. Step 1 is to establish if konqueror or the wm is doing
it. Have a look inside ~/.kde/share/config/* and see if there's any specific
settings related to crypto and width.

Then in the crypto dialog itself, do any of those fields have enough data in
them that would make the window very wide if fully displayed?

Finally, stop all KDE apps and rename ~/.kde temporarily. Restart konqueror
and if the problem still persists, it's likely a wm issue. It's been a long
time since I used fluxbox so someone else will have to help you there :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Mick

On Saturday 20 September 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 20 September 2008 10:32:26 Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > This is driving me up the wall and would love to find a solution:
> >
> > For some reason when I click on the Konqueror crypto configuration, using
> > my Fluxbox WM, the window that comes up is ridiculously wide. Something
> > like twice the width of my screen! I have to drag it to the left/right
> > if I want to enter data in any of the fields. I tried resizing it by
> > dragging the bottom corners, but it is not possible. I can only increase
> > it's width - which is the opposite of what I want.
> >
> > Have you come across this problem and how did you overcome it?
>
> No such problem here. Step 1 is to establish if konqueror or the wm is
> doing it. Have a look inside ~/.kde/share/config/* and see if there's any
> specific settings related to crypto and width.

Couldn't find any crypto specific file (unless it has a 'cryptic' name? o_O)

Is there a clever regex string to search inside the files
within .kde/share/config/* and tell me which one contains crypto settings?

> Then in the crypto dialog itself, do any of those fields have enough data
> in them that would make the window very wide if fully displayed?

No, that's the funny thing. The Konqueror Config window opens on the Behavior
tab which is normal width - say 738px. Then when I click on the Crypto tab
it opens up at twice the width of my screen, on the first sub-tab, SSL. The
first column "SSLv2 ciphers to use" is just 248px, but then there's a blank
column next to it. The next column after that, "SSLv3 Ciphers to Use" does
not start until 741px to the right. Given that the typical width of a column
in the SSL tab is 248px, this 741px for empty columns is what it seems to
through it out. Dragging the corners of the Fluxbox window cannot shrinking
the overall size beyond this super-wide setting.

> Finally, stop all KDE apps and rename ~/.kde temporarily. Restart konqueror
> and if the problem still persists, it's likely a wm issue. It's been a long
> time since I used fluxbox so someone else will have to help you there :-)

I recall trying this in the past - but I will try it again and see what gives.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Mick