Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
ert256

Default NTFS free space disappeared

Hello
I have some weird problem width NTFS partition in linux environment.
I have Knoppix LiveCD on some machine, which i want to clean out.
There was some virus and windows is unusable, so I'm copying data over
network to other machine, but what is the point
/media/sda5 is ntfs mounted in rea-only mode
root@Knoppix:/media# df -h
/dev/sda5 31G 29G 2.3G 93% /media/sda5
root@Knoppix:~# du -h --summarize /media/sda5/
19G /media/sda5/
I cannot fire up windows, because it is dangerous, and that windows on
this machine is broken.
Question is : Where is missing 10G on NTFS partition ? Can I safely
clean disk without risk of data loss?
Thank you

--
Rafał (ert16) Trójniak
m@il : ert256@gmail.com

Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
ert256

[ 18.09.2008 22:00 ], ert256 :
> Hello
> I have some weird problem width NTFS partition in linux environment.
> I have Knoppix LiveCD on some machine, which i want to clean out.
> There was some virus and windows is unusable, so I'm copying data over
> network to other machine, but what is the point
> /media/sda5 is ntfs mounted in rea-only mode
> root@Knoppix:/media# df -h
> /dev/sda5 31G 29G 2.3G 93% /media/sda5
> root@Knoppix:~# du -h --summarize /media/sda5/
> 19G /media/sda5/
> I cannot fire up windows, because it is dangerous, and that windows on
> this machine is broken.
> Question is : Where is missing 10G on NTFS partition ? Can I safely
> clean disk without risk of data loss?
> Thank you
Line from /etc/mtab for that disk :
/dev/sda5 /media/sda5 fuseblk
ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0

Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 AM
"b.n."

ert256 ha scritto:

Hello
I have some weird problem width NTFS partition in linux environment.
I have Knoppix LiveCD on some machine, which i want to clean out.
There was some virus and windows is unusable, so I'm copying data over
network to other machine, but what is the point
/media/sda5 is ntfs mounted in rea-only mode
root@Knoppix:/media# df -h
/dev/sda5 31G 29G 2.3G 93% /media/sda5
root@Knoppix:~# du -h --summarize /media/sda5/
19G /media/sda5/
I cannot fire up windows, because it is dangerous, and that windows on
this machine is broken.
Question is : Where is missing 10G on NTFS partition ? Can I safely
clean disk without risk of data loss?
Thank you

du and df show different things.
There was a thread, recently, on the subject:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/170503

m.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 20 September 2008 03:04:38 b.n. wrote:
> ert256 ha scritto:
> > Hello
> > I have some weird problem width NTFS partition in linux environment.
> > I have Knoppix LiveCD on some machine, which i want to clean out.
> > There was some virus and windows is unusable, so I'm copying data over
> > network to other machine, but what is the point
> > /media/sda5 is ntfs mounted in rea-only mode
> > root@Knoppix:/media# df -h
> > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda5 31G 29G 2.3G 93% /media/sda5
> > root@Knoppix:~# du -h --summarize /media/sda5/
> > 19G /media/sda5/
> > I cannot fire up windows, because it is dangerous, and that windows on
> > this machine is broken.
> > Question is : Where is missing 10G on NTFS partition ? Can I safely
> > clean disk without risk of data loss?
> > Thank you
>
> du and df show different things.
> There was a thread, recently, on the subject:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/170503

That's true enough, but I would still be mighty suspicious of those numbers.

He has a 31G filesystem, df says he has used 29G worth of blocks and du says
the total amount of data in those blocks is 19G. The difference is always
file allocation slack, but a full third of the filesystem?

It's not impossible of course. I don't know what the block size is on NTFS,
but with 1k, you'd need 10 million files each 1 byte to consume 10G of slack.
With 64k blocks it's something like 150,000 files. That's a whole lot of very
very tiny files - not impossible, but highly unlikely in normal usage[1]

It looks like that disk could bear some investigation, even if only for peace
of mind.

alan

[1] I wouldn't be surprised if NTFS had some insane block allocation policy
where this is quite common... or if MS has built some kind of hidden backup
region (aka AllYouBaseAreBelongToUsFS) into the filesystem that is invisible
to du

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com