FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
James
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

All,

I upgrade gentoo-sources to 2.6.26 a few days ago and just noticed
that vmware-server doesn't play nice with the new kernel.

I've seen bug ID 227303, but haven't been successful in patching
vmware-server as some of the comments in the bug indicate.

Anyone been able to get vmware-server to work with the new kernel?

-j
 
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:55:20 -0400, James wrote:

> I upgrade gentoo-sources to 2.6.26 a few days ago and just noticed
> that vmware-server doesn't play nice with the new kernel.

Neither does the vmware-workstation from pportage, but there's a later
version available from VMware, and that works with 2.6.26 for me. Or you
could try the vmware overlay.


--
Neil Bothwick

Just when you got it all figured out: An UPGRADE!
 
Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
James
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

From what I've read the latest version of vmware-server (2.0, which is
in beta and not yet in portage) is buggy enough to be unstable.

...or were you talking about VMware workstation?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:55:20 -0400, James wrote:
>
>> I upgrade gentoo-sources to 2.6.26 a few days ago and just noticed
>> that vmware-server doesn't play nice with the new kernel.
>
> Neither does the vmware-workstation from pportage, but there's a later
> version available from VMware, and that works with 2.6.26 for me. Or you
> could try the vmware overlay.
>
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Just when you got it all figured out: An UPGRADE!
 
Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:49:28 -0400, James wrote:

> From what I've read the latest version of vmware-server (2.0, which is
> in beta and not yet in portage) is buggy enough to be unstable.
>
> ...or were you talking about VMware workstation?

I was referring to workstation, but there may be an update for server,
not necessarily the latest beta.


--
Neil Bothwick

Interchangeable parts aren't.
 
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Iain Buchanan
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:55:20 -0400, James wrote:


I upgrade gentoo-sources to 2.6.26 a few days ago and just noticed
that vmware-server doesn't play nice with the new kernel.


Neither does the vmware-workstation from pportage, but there's a later
version available from VMware, and that works with 2.6.26 for me. Or you
could try the vmware overlay.


what? Which version of workstation doesn't work with 2.6.26?
vmware-workstation-6.0.4.93057?


--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

BOFH Excuse #35:

working as designed
 
Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Joshua D Doll
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

James wrote:

All,

I upgrade gentoo-sources to 2.6.26 a few days ago and just noticed
that vmware-server doesn't play nice with the new kernel.

I've seen bug ID 227303, but haven't been successful in patching
vmware-server as some of the comments in the bug indicate.

Anyone been able to get vmware-server to work with the new kernel?

-j



You might want to have a gander at this bug report.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=227303

Joshua Doll
 
Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default vmware-server + gentoo-sources-2.6.26, anyone?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:54:22 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> > Neither does the vmware-workstation from pportage, but there's a later
> > version available from VMware, and that works with 2.6.26 for me. Or
> > you could try the vmware overlay.
>
> what? Which version of workstation doesn't work with 2.6.26?
> vmware-workstation-6.0.4.93057?

Yes, there's a problem with the vmblock module.


--
Neil Bothwick

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: The location of all objects cannot be
known simultaneously. Corollary: If a lost thing is found, something else
will disappear.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org