Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Loading iwl3945 erratic

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no pattern
at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold rebooted,
powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other usual thing. I
don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.

I've googled, read the comments in the source and read heaps of howtos without
success. Ideas anyone?

On failure, the exact error message in dmesg is:
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 5.304072] iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, 1.2.26kds
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 5.304072] iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel
Corporation
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 6.229313] iwl3945: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi
Link 3945ABG
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 6.230984] iwl3945: Error: saturation power is -1,
less than minimum expected 40
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 6.230984] iwl3945: Invalid power index
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 6.230984] iwl3945: initializing regulatory
failed: -5
Sep 17 18:04:48 nazgul [ 6.237253] iwl3945: probe of 0000:0b:00.0 failed
with error -5

On success, the dmesg output is:
Sep 17 18:37:52 nazgul [ 4.576768] iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, 1.2.26ks
Sep 17 18:37:52 nazgul [ 4.576768] iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel
Corporation
Sep 17 18:37:52 nazgul [ 5.490369] iwl3945: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi
Link 3945ABG
Sep 17 18:37:52 nazgul [ 5.603457] iwl3945: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg,
23 802.11a channels
Sep 17 18:37:52 nazgul [ 5.609491] phy0: Selected rate control
algorithm 'iwl-3945-rs'

The hardware:
alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo lspci | grep -i wireless
0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection (rev 02)

Kernel: 2.6.26-gentoo

Config:
alan@nazgul ~ $ zgrep IWL /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_IWLWIFI=m
CONFIG_IWLCORE=m
# CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS is not set
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_RFKILL=y
# CONFIG_IWL4965 is not set
CONFIG_IWL3945=m
CONFIG_IWL3945_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT=y
CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y
# CONFIG_IWL3945_DEBUG is not set

alan@nazgul /etc $ grep -i iwl /etc/mod*conf
/etc/modprobe.conf:alias wlan0 iwl3945

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
"Espen Hustad"

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:03:52 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
> power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no
> pattern at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold
> rebooted, powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other usual
> thing. I don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.

> Config:
> alan@nazgul ~ $ zgrep IWL /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_IWLWIFI=m
> CONFIG_IWLCORE=m
> # CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS is not set
> CONFIG_IWLWIFI_RFKILL=y
> # CONFIG_IWL4965 is not set
> CONFIG_IWL3945=m
> CONFIG_IWL3945_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT=y
> CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y
> # CONFIG_IWL3945_DEBUG is not set
>
> alan@nazgul /etc $ grep -i iwl /etc/mod*conf
> /etc/modprobe.conf:alias wlan0 iwl3945

Hi!

Do you have mac80211 compiled as a module or in kernel? See
http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Ipw3945#iwlwifi for explanation. I'm not sure
though if this is still a issue, or if it has been fixed.

Espen

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:32:21 Espen Hustad wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:03:52 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
> > power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no
> > pattern at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold
> > rebooted, powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other usual
> > thing. I don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.
> >
> > Config:
> > alan@nazgul ~ $ zgrep IWL /proc/config.gz
> > CONFIG_IWLWIFI=m
> > CONFIG_IWLCORE=m
> > # CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS is not set
> > CONFIG_IWLWIFI_RFKILL=y
> > # CONFIG_IWL4965 is not set
> > CONFIG_IWL3945=m
> > CONFIG_IWL3945_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT=y
> > CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y
> > # CONFIG_IWL3945_DEBUG is not set
> >
> > alan@nazgul /etc $ grep -i iwl /etc/mod*conf
> > /etc/modprobe.conf:alias wlan0 iwl3945
>
> Hi!
>
> Do you have mac80211 compiled as a module or in kernel? See
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Ipw3945#iwlwifi for explanation. I'm not sure
> though if this is still a issue, or if it has been fixed.

mac80211 is a module - I learned long ago to make as modules everything that
can work as a module :-) Some more info I omitted from the original post:

the driver I use is the in-kernel iwl3945 (part of iwlwifi)
iwl3945-ucode is installed
As far as I can tell, everything I should have done according to that page and
to http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Iwlwifi has been done.

Working purely from a techie's gut feel here (i.e. no evidence whatsoever),
this behaviour looks like what I might get from the following circumstances:

- a register in the card is not being properly initialised by the firmware,
sometimes a bit is 0 sometimes a 1 at random and the results are not
determined
- there's a module option that I missed when reading the source comments
- a weird race condition at early boot, results are pot-luck
- my hardware is busted

But I've run out of ideas on how to falsify these theories :-(

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Iain Buchanan

Alan McKinnon wrote:

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with an Intel IWL3945 wireless card. On
power-up/reboot it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I can find no
pattern at all, success does not depend on the machine being hot/cold
rebooted, powered up from shutdown, hibernate, suspend or any other usual
thing. I don't use the wireless-rf kill switch at all.

mac80211 is a module - I learned long ago to make as modules everything that
can work as a module :-) Some more info I omitted from the original post:

have you tried:
- /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop
- unload module
- reload, continue ?

I have a precision M6300 with the iwl 4965, and all my problems can
usually be solved the above way, although our two laptops are different.

the driver I use is the in-kernel iwl3945 (part of iwlwifi)
iwl3945-ucode is installed

have you recompiled ucode since you last built the module?

As far as I can tell, everything I should have done according to that page and
to http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Iwlwifi has been done.

Working purely from a techie's gut feel here (i.e. no evidence whatsoever),
this behaviour looks like what I might get from the following circumstances:

- a register in the card is not being properly initialised by the firmware,
sometimes a bit is 0 sometimes a 1 at random and the results are not
determined
- there's a module option that I missed when reading the source comments
- a weird race condition at early boot, results are pot-luck
- my hardware is busted

But I've run out of ideas on how to falsify these theories :-(

One answer to these questions is Winblows. If it works continuously
there, then it's not your hw. Another option is reseating the mpci
card, or even trying a different one. Otherwise try and match your
kernel and ucode versions with someone who has it working... But I'm
sure you've thought of that

The idea is to die young as late as possible.
-- Ashley Montague

Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 18 September 2008 01:20:28 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > mac80211 is a module - I learned long ago to make as modules everything
> > that can work as a module :-) Some more info I omitted from the original
> > post:
>
> have you tried:
> - /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop
> - unload module
> - reload, continue ?

Tried that but it doesn't work. If I get that "power level message = -1"
message in dmesg, nothing works until I reboot/powercyle, then it's pot luck
if it'll start next time

> I have a precision M6300 with the iwl 4965, and all my problems can
> usually be solved the above way, although our two laptops are different.
>
> > the driver I use is the in-kernel iwl3945 (part of iwlwifi)
> > iwl3945-ucode is installed
>
> have you recompiled ucode since you last built the module?

Yes, but we can nuke that as a contributing factor - there's no compiling to
be down. The ebuild just unpacks a binary blob and moves it to /lib/firmware

> > But I've run out of ideas on how to falsify these theories :-(
>
> One answer to these questions is Winblows. If it works continuously
> there, then it's not your hw. Another option is reseating the mpci
> card, or even trying a different one. Otherwise try and match your
> kernel and ucode versions with someone who has it working... But I'm
> sure you've thought of that

Windows isn't feasible, but an Ubuntu LiveCD is :-) I'll spend some time
tonight after work cycling the machine enough times to get a decent record

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com