Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Stroller

Default F'ing Idiots on IRC A plea for calm

On 17 Sep 2008, at 00:27, b.n. wrote:

In any case, even if r0bertz is a clueless idiot, the only sane
approach is even in this case to calmly and rationally explain (or
providing links to information) why what he was doing was, in your
opinion, wrong.

To be completely fair, if you deal with other peoples' problems on IRC
on a regular basis then you will know the number of idiots to be quite
staggering. There is an unending supply of them - if only we could
fuel automobiles with idiocy! - and always another one ready to pop
out the woodwork the moment you've dealt with the last one. It is
staggering how many questions on IRC can be answered with a simple
Google.

IRC is an informal medium and maybe someone just had a bad day.

I'm not saying the reaction of the devs in that IRC log was right -
I'd probably get the hump, too, if I were the subject of such rude
dismissal - but maybe treating the user that way was an understandable
mistake on the devs part.

In many ways being told you're an idiot is better than simply being
ignored, because at least it gives you the chance to say, "ooops, am
i? can you explain what i did wrong, please?"

Finally, I might add that the log we've seen posted was taken without
any context. Perhaps the user is known on the channel for his idiocy,
for winding the devs up, for asking stupid questions on a daily basis
and not listening to advice given? We don't know.

Stroller.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Zhang Le

On 15:39 Wed 17 Sep , Stroller wrote:
> Finally, I might add that the log we've seen posted was taken without any
> context. Perhaps the user is known on the channel for his idiocy, for
> winding the devs up, for asking stupid questions on a daily basis and not
> listening to advice given? We don't know.

Hey, I think it is time for me to say something.
That was my _very_ first time to ever speak in #paludis.
I did read the paludis FAQ before speak in #paludis.
But basically the FAQ says nothing about why the option is not implemented other
than some vague argument like "it could be abused".
So I went there to try to get an answer. And... you all know what followed.

Actually I still don't think --resume --skipfirst can do big harm to my system.
After all, my system have been running well for several years.

Vaeth's analysis is very good. IMO, that's by far the most pertinent explanation
to this problem. But that still can't happen in a perfect world, because
supposedly if a feature is required but can't be supported due to lack of a
specific (version) library, ./configure should fail early and loudly.

Zhang Le

Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Zhang Le

And BTW, the command I mentioned in that unpleasant IRC conversation is still here:
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061002-newsletter.xml#doc_chap3

If I am an idiot, then all gentoo dev's are too.
Sorry, my dearest fellow dev's, but this is #paludis people's logic and of
course they are wrong.
Because gwn is usually sent to gentoo-core for review before publish. And this
tip could passed the review. So presumably it should be OK to most gentoo dev's.

Zhang Le

Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Zhang Le

On 15:39 Wed 17 Sep , Stroller wrote:
> To be completely fair, if you deal with other peoples' problems on IRC on a
> regular basis then you will know the number of idiots to be quite
> staggering. There is an unending supply of them - if only we could fuel
> automobiles with idiocy! - and always another one ready to pop out the
> woodwork the moment you've dealt with the last one. It is staggering how
> many questions on IRC can be answered with a simple Google.

I myself running a #gentoo-cn, a gentoo-china google group.
Also I am a moderator of two gentoo forums, unfortunately one of them is
temporarily down (linuxsir.org).
Many times, I have exactly the same feeling.
However, I never call a new comer an idiot however stupid his question is,
thanks to the #paludis people.
Coz I know how much that hurts, both to him and to my project.

Zhang Le

Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
"David Leverton"

2008/9/17 Zhang Le <r0bertz@gentoo.org>:
> Actually I still don't think --resume --skipfirst can do big harm to my system.
> After all, my system have been running well for several years.

If you get so many build failures that you feel the need to
systematically ignore them, then your system is not "running well".

Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Davi Vidal

Em Wednesday 17 September 2008, David Leverton escreveu:
> 2008/9/17 Zhang Le <r0bertz@gentoo.org>:
> > Actually I still don't think --resume --skipfirst can do big harm to my
> > system. After all, my system have been running well for several years.
>
> If you get so many build failures that you feel the need to
> systematically ignore them, then your system is not "running well".

OK, David. You're right and all the people on this list recognizes your (and
Paludis) superiority.

You _can_ stop now. :-)

Here is your trophy for being the winner of this thread:

http://www.tempetrophy.com/images/trophy.GIF

Congratulations.
--
Davi Vidal

Old 09-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Davi Vidal wrote:

Actually I still don't think --resume --skipfirst can do big harm to my
system. After all, my system have been running well for several years.

If you get so many build failures that you feel the need to
systematically ignore them, then your system is not "running well".

OK, David. You're right and all the people on this list recognizes your (and
Paludis) superiority.

You _can_ stop now. :-)

Here is your trophy for being the winner of this thread:

http://www.tempetrophy.com/images/trophy.GIF

Congratulations.

Winner on what grounds? From the tone of the vast majority of his posts
it would seem to be "he who posts in most vitriolic manner". Not
commendable.

Mark

Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:55:21 +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Winner on what grounds? From the tone of the vast majority of his posts
> it would seem to be "he who posts in most vitriolic manner". Not
> commendable.

I think you need to re-emerge life-humour/sarcasm

--
Neil Bothwick

If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 AM
David Leverton

On Saturday 20 September 2008 05:55:21 Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Winner on what grounds? From the tone of the vast majority of his posts
> it would seem to be "he who posts in most vitriolic manner". Not
> commendable.

Do you really expect that, after all the lies, slander, FUD and personal
attacks coming at me and my team from certain parties, that I should respond
with all hugs and smiles? That's really quite unbelievable.

Also, this thread was dead for over two days. Was it really necessary to
bring it up again? But oh no, I'm sure I'll get the blame, because I'm "the
only who still talking", and all the people who I'm replying to must be
figments of my imagination.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Neil Bothwick wrote:

Winner on what grounds? From the tone of the vast majority of his posts
it would seem to be "he who posts in most vitriolic manner". Not
commendable.

I think you need to re-emerge life-humour/sarcasm

LOL - I was meaning to agree with Davi Vidal's sentiments (yep - my
sarcasm is installed ok!), but clearly didn't get that across clearly :-)