Old 09-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Marc Joliet

Default virtualbox networking

Am Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:22:54 -0300
schrieb Norberto Bensa <nbensa@gmail.com>:

> Quoting Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de>:
>
> > Right now I got it working without using a bridge. I can ping my
> > Windows XP VM and it can ping everything else on my side, however,
> > nmap won't work. I wonder why? Does the Windows firewall block it off?
> >

> nmap runs on the guest?

No, on the host. I noticed the following works:

marcec@marcec ~ % sudo nmap -PN 172.16.1.2
Passwort:

Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-09-18 02:28 CEST
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.273 seconds
marcec@marcec ~ %

So I assume nothing is wrong, it's probably Windows built in firewall.

> >> After all this, create a small bash script in /usr/bin. I called
> > I would think such a script belongs in /usr/local/bin?
>
> Errr.. Yup. But I don't know why VB doesn't get my $PATH.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that, I just wanted to be sure,
though in retrospect I guess the question was superfluous.

> >> The interface is create and destroyed on demand.
> >
> > I would do that (create a bridge without any IFs attached and
> > then have them added dynamically), except the VBoxAddIF script in
> > virtualbox-ose-2.0.2 craps out on a missing file
> > (/var/run/VirtualBox/vboxnet). Google didn't yield anything useful.
> >
> >> marcec@marcec ~ % sudo VBoxAddIF vbox0 marcec br0
> >> VirtualBox host networking interface creation utility, version _VERSION_
> >> (C) 2005-2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> >> All rights reserved.
> >>
> >> Creating the permanent host networking interface "vbox0" for user marcec.
> >>
> >> Failed to add the interface "vbox0" to the bridge "br0".
>
> And where's your br0 in /etc/conf.d/net? I can't find it.

Sorry, that's because I had it commented out after the failure. It
looks like this:

config_br0=( "172.16.1.1 broadcast 172.16.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
brctl_br0=( "setfd 0" "sethello 0" "stp on" )

And that's it.

I just created the directory /var/run/VirtualBox/ via mkdir and set
the group to vboxusers. Then I ran your script. Now it seems to work,
except for the fact that VirtualBox seems to not run the script, even
with the full path. I can run the script manually, creating vbox1 and
then start the VM and everything works, but with:

Attached to: vbox1
Setup application: /usr/local/bin/addif.sh vbox1 up
terminate application: /usr/local/bin/addif.sh vbox1 down

the VM doesn't start and the TAP devices aren't created. How
frustrating :/ .

> > When looking at the relevent line (237), apparently it's because the
> > directory doesn't exist so it can't create the file. What does it look
> > like on your system? Shouldn't the ebuild have created that directory?
>
> I have no /var/run/VirtualBox... but I use virtualbox-bin-2.0.2.

Hmm, odd.

> Regards,
> Norberto

So, I'll try some more tomorrow, but now I really need some sleep :-) .
--
Marc Joliet

Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de>:

except for the fact that VirtualBox seems to not run the script, even
with the full path. I can run the script manually, creating vbox1 and
then start the VM and everything works, but with:

Attached to: vbox1

That's your problem. You should leave that blank.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Marc Joliet

Am Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:05:49 -0300
schrieb Norberto Bensa <nbensa@gmail.com>:

> Quoting Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de>:
>
> > except for the fact that VirtualBox seems to not run the script, even
> > with the full path. I can run the script manually, creating vbox1 and
> > then start the VM and everything works, but with:
> >
> > Attached to: vbox1
>
> That's your problem. You should leave that blank.

OK, I feel so stupid right now.

First off, you're absolutely right. I verified that in the VirtualBox
manual, to be sure.

The problem was, I had commented out the redirects to /dev/null when
the script first failed for diagnostic purposes, which showed me
that /var/run/VirtualBox/ didn't exist. I just forgot to uncomment them
afterwards. *ARGH*

So now it works as intended, tested with WinXP and Ubuntu running in
parallel (now that shows me why I should upgrade from 2 to 4GB RAM).

> > Setup application: /usr/local/bin/addif.sh vbox1 up
> > terminate application: /usr/local/bin/addif.sh vbox1 down
>
> Regards,
> Norberto

Thanks,
--
Marc Joliet

Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de>:

OK, I feel so stupid right now.

Please don't. Nobody born knowing everything

So now it works as intended, tested with WinXP and Ubuntu running in
parallel (now that shows me why I should upgrade from 2 to 4GB RAM).

Heh... Me too!

Regards,
Norberto