Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Willie Wong

Default python-updater always wants to re-emerge certain things.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:02:32PM +0000, Penguin Lover Grant Edwards squawked:
> > No clue why but it worked for me. I agree that after being
> > recompiled it shouldn't need to do it again but it seems to do
> > the same on my rig.
>
> That's interesting. Seems like a bug in python-updater.
>
> >> Definitely, but it'll have to wait until the computer can be
> >> left up for a day or so (it's a laptop, and it's not often in
> >> one place for that long).

Can you show the contents of python-updater -vp?

I think it is a bug, but I can't reproduce it at the moment. Reading
through /usr/sbin/python-updater (it is just script, you know) nothing
really seems wrong. But if you show the verbose messages and point out
which of the packages have been merged before, maybe we can track down
the issue.

"So the particle comes in from infinity and leaves. Of course this will take
an infinite amount of time, but then again we have lots of time."
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 648 days, 13:54

Old 09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 04:05:19PM +0000, Penguin Lover Grant Edwards squawked:
> > Can you show the contents of python-updater -vp?
>
> # python-updater -vp
> [...]
> unrecognised option: -vp

Oops, my bad.

> Running python-updater -v -p says this (all packages except
> openoffice have been emerged at least once since python was
> updated):
>
> * Starting Python Updater from 2.4 to 2.5 :
> * check "soname" enabled.
> * check "pylibdir" enabled.
> * check "eclass" disabled.
> * check "manual" enabled.
> * Adding to list: =dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
> * check: manual [Added to list manually]
> * Adding to list: =x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
> * check: manual [Added to list manually]
> * Adding to list: =app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3
> * check: manual [Added to list manually]
> * Adding to list: =app-office/openoffice-2.4.1
> * check: soname [ Libraries linked to old libpython found:
> * libpython2.4.so.1.0 /usr/lib/openoffice/program/pythonloader.uno.so libpython2.4.so.1.0 /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libpyuno.so
> * ]

Okay, then, it is not a bug. The packages listed belong to the
PKGS_MANUAL set defined the python-updater. The comment there says:

"packages that should be re-emerged even if they don't fit the
criteria (eg. ones that have pythong compiled statically)"

So that is the designed behaviour. I would prefer it like this rather
than having packages that need re-emerging omitted. That said, you can
pass the flag

-dmanual

to disable re-emerging those packages. (You can even fine tune which
sets you want to re-emerge.) Read the python-updater man page for
details.

HTH,

A backwards poet writes inverse.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 648 days, 14:57