Old 09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default sound with webcams

Hi all,

it's been a few minutes since I've seen a webcam thread here, so I
thought it's time to start one

I'm considering the logitech quickcam s5500 webcam - price is under $AU
50, it clips onto a laptop, and it has a mic. Apparently the image is
quite reasonable[1], and it works in linux with luvc.[2]

What I'm really interested in is the mic, cause my you-beaut laptop
didn't come with a mic for some unknown reason. I've heard [no pun
intended] that usb audio does it, but I've also heard there are issues.

Does anyone have experience with this webcam and audio? Or any luvc
webcam and usb audio?

[1] http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=4449
[2] http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

thanks,

"I'm the master of low expectations."

George W. Bush
June 4, 2003
Aboard Air Force One

Old 09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:03:39 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> I'm considering the logitech quickcam s5500 webcam - price is under $AU
> 50, it clips onto a laptop, and it has a mic. Apparently the image is
> quite reasonable[1], and it works in linux with luvc.[2]

I have no experience with audio on webcams, but would point out that
linuxuvc is now in the kernel.

% zgrep USB_VIDEO /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=m

Despite the name, it works with built in cameras too, like the one on my
Eee 900.

--
Neil Bothwick

A great many people mistake opinions for thoughts. -- Herbert V. Prochnow