Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Kristian Poul Herkild

Default Insanely long delay in loading xorg+gnome

Heh...

Well, good morning to all in the list.

I've run into a silly issue with loading xorg+gnome. I've split the
process in three stages.

2) Insanely long delay. This stage is weird and takes ~12 minutes (have
measured it several times, though slightly imprecise).

After the third stage everything works fine and smooth and
near-instantaneous (quite opposite Windows )

The second stage (the insanely long unexplainable delay) takes the
mentioned ~12 minutes. There is no harddisk activity at all. The only
thing I have is a black screen and the black'n'white standard X-cursor
(though it does react instantaneously on mouse movements ).

Does anybody know where to look for information useful to find the
problem. I haven't found any logfile with any information related to
this weird delay, which of course is consistent with the complete lack
of harddisk activity.

Kind regards,

Kristian Poul Herkild

Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Graham Murray

Kristian Poul Herkild <kristian@herkild.dk> writes:

> The second stage (the insanely long unexplainable delay) takes the
> mentioned ~12 minutes. There is no harddisk activity at all. The only
> thing I have is a black screen and the black'n'white standard X-cursor
> (though it does react instantaneously on mouse movements ).

That sounds like the sort of delay you might get if it is waiting for a
TCP connection attempt which gets no response (eg DROP rule in iptables).