-   -   Insanely long delay in loading xorg+gnome (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/16101-insanely-long-delay-loading-xorg-gnome.html)

Kristian Poul Herkild 12-10-2007 04:57 AM

Insanely long delay in loading xorg+gnome

Heh...

Well, good morning to all in the list.

I've run into a silly issue with loading xorg+gnome. I've split the
process in three stages.

2) Insanely long delay. This stage is weird and takes ~12 minutes (have
measured it several times, though slightly imprecise).

After the third stage everything works fine and smooth and
near-instantaneous (quite opposite Windows :p )

The second stage (the insanely long unexplainable delay) takes the
mentioned ~12 minutes. There is no harddisk activity at all. The only
thing I have is a black screen and the black'n'white standard X-cursor
(though it does react instantaneously on mouse movements :p ).

Does anybody know where to look for information useful to find the
problem. I haven't found any logfile with any information related to
this weird delay, which of course is consistent with the complete lack
of harddisk activity.

Kind regards,

Kristian Poul Herkild

Graham Murray 12-10-2007 05:43 AM

Kristian Poul Herkild <kristian@herkild.dk> writes:

> The second stage (the insanely long unexplainable delay) takes the
> mentioned ~12 minutes. There is no harddisk activity at all. The only
> thing I have is a black screen and the black'n'white standard X-cursor
> (though it does react instantaneously on mouse movements :p ).

That sounds like the sort of delay you might get if it is waiting for a
TCP connection attempt which gets no response (eg DROP rule in iptables).