FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga
 
Default Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Just got message about Features/echo-icon-theme[1].
I included the change we did during that time[2] on the wiki. If there is
something missing on wiki, feel free to update it. Although some icons are
missing, Echo shoud be testable enough for F10 Beta. Comments are welcome.

References:
-----------
[1]http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-September/msg01471.html
[2]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EchoIconTheme

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project contributor
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/LuyaTshimbalanga

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Andreas Nilsson
 
Default Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

Just got message about Features/echo-icon-theme[1].
I included the change we did during that time[2] on the wiki. If there is
something missing on wiki, feel free to update it. Although some icons are
missing, Echo shoud be testable enough for F10 Beta. Comments are welcome.

References:
-----------
[1]http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-September/msg01471.html
[2]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EchoIconTheme


Would it be suitable to mention on the wiki under Benefits where it says:
"A unique set of icon that combines elegance and usability."
That it will also mean a drawback in terms of integration on Fedora for
3rd party developers such as Mozilla [1], Medsphere [2] and VMWare [3]?


1. http://www.mozilla.com/
2. http://medsphere.com/
3. http://vmware.com/

- Andreas

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Andreas Nilsson wrote:

Would it be suitable to mention on the wiki under Benefits where it says:
"A unique set of icon that combines elegance and usability."
That it will also mean a drawback in terms of integration on Fedora for
3rd party developers such as Mozilla [1], Medsphere [2] and VMWare [3]?


* VMware is closed source software, outside of the Fedora mission, so it
does not matter;
* I doubt that Medsphere OpenVista should be a blocker, it does not like
a software I would recommend to be run on Fedora;
* by Mozilla I guess you mean Firefox, as Thunderbird and Seamonkey do
not use the GNOME icon theme anyway. After covering the base icons, I
think the most obvious goal for Echo is to cover the Firefox icons.


I don't think integration with 3rd party applications should be a
concern, otherwise we are going to a slippery slope and may get to think
about consistency with Windows icons (via Wine).


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga
 
Default Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Andreas Nilsson a écrit :
> Would it be suitable to mention on the wiki under Benefits where it says:
> "A unique set of icon that combines elegance and usability."
> That it will also mean a drawback in terms of integration on Fedora
> for 3rd party developers such as Mozilla [1], Medsphere [2] and VMWare
> [3]?
>
Wiki updated[1]. Because of trademark, those icons cannot modified
unless there are request.

Luya

Reference
-------------

[1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EchoIconTheme

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Andreas Nilsson
 
Default Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Nicu Buculei wrote:

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Would it be suitable to mention on the wiki under Benefits where it
says:

"A unique set of icon that combines elegance and usability."
That it will also mean a drawback in terms of integration on Fedora
for 3rd party developers such as Mozilla [1], Medsphere [2] and
VMWare [3]?


* VMware is closed source software, outside of the Fedora mission, so
it does not matter;
* I doubt that Medsphere OpenVista should be a blocker, it does not
like a software I would recommend to be run on Fedora;
* by Mozilla I guess you mean Firefox, as Thunderbird and Seamonkey do
not use the GNOME icon theme anyway. After covering the base icons, I
think the most obvious goal for Echo is to cover the Firefox icons.
The reason for my concerns was because some kind of predictability in
the look of feel across distros was the reason Mozilla agreed to do
Linux visual integration in the first place (the alternative was keep on
using the WinXP style).

http://www.beltzner.ca/mike/archives/2007/10/11/giving_the_penguin_a_makeover.html
and
http://steelgryphon.com/blog/?p=108
I don't think integration with 3rd party applications should be a
concern, otherwise we are going to a slippery slope and may get to
think about consistency with Windows icons (via Wine).
I don't think the slope is that slippery really, because Windows is a
completely different platform all together (don't use platform
technologies, follow the HIG or anything like that either).
If 3rd party developers trying to integrate with your platform isn't a
concern at all, I rest my case. Just thought it was worth mentioning as
all design decisions have pros and cons and that it would be unfortunate
not listing any possible cons.

- Andreas

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Andreas Nilsson wrote:

The reason for my concerns was because some kind of predictability in
the look of feel across distros was the reason Mozilla agreed to do
Linux visual integration in the first place (the alternative was keep on
using the WinXP style).
http://www.beltzner.ca/mike/archives/2007/10/11/giving_the_penguin_a_makeover.html


Predictability can only be achieved by having everyone adopt the same
look which I don't think is going to happen. What you really want is
integration instead.


Mozilla integrates well with the current theme (atleast for GNOME and
Xfce) which is what we really want ISV's to be doing as well. You can
clearly see that the current icon and set is being used by Firefox in
the different screenshots from Fedora, Ubuntu etc. If they don't do
proper integration and simply copy and use some icons, I would consider
this a con for the ISV's.


Rahul

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org