Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Grant Edwards

Default python-updater always wants to re-emerge certain things.

What criteria does python-updater use to decide what to
emerge?

I ran python-updater and it wanted to emerge 7 packages. I
emerged all of them except openoffice. Then I ran
python-updater again. It still wants to emerge half of the
packages that I just finished emerging. What does one have to
do to get a package off the list of things python-updater wants
to build?

The packages it always wants to build are

dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Everybody is going
at somewhere!! It's probably

Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Dale

Grant Edwards wrote:

What criteria does python-updater use to decide what to
emerge?

I ran python-updater and it wanted to emerge 7 packages. I
emerged all of them except openoffice. Then I ran
python-updater again. It still wants to emerge half of the
packages that I just finished emerging. What does one have to
do to get a package off the list of things python-updater wants
to build?

The packages it always wants to build are

dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3

Once you get them all emerged, unmerge the old version of python and it
will be good to go. That is my experience anyway.

I know OOo takes a while, it may be a good idea to emerge it too. It
may not work if you don't.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-09-15, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> I ran python-updater and it wanted to emerge 7 packages. I
>> emerged all of them except openoffice. Then I ran
>> python-updater again. It still wants to emerge half of the
>> packages that I just finished emerging. What does one have to
>> do to get a package off the list of things python-updater wants
>> to build?
>>
>> The packages it always wants to build are
>>
>> dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
>> x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
>> app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3
>
> Once you get them all emerged, unmerge the old version of
> python and it will be good to go. That is my experience
> anyway.

Unmerging the old version of Python isn't unnecessary. Once I
emerge OOo, everything should be indeed be fine. The question
is why does python-update think it needs to re-emerge some
packages that have already been emerged several times since
Python was updated?

> I know OOo takes a while, it may be a good idea to emerge it too.

Definitely, but it'll have to wait until the computer can be
left up for a day or so (it's a laptop, and it's not often in
one place for that long).

--
Grant

Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Dale

[...]

From the times I have ran into this, it always wants to rebuild them
until I remove the old version. No clue why but it worked for me. I
agree that after being recompiled it shouldn't need to do it again but
it seems to do the same on my rig.

I know OOo takes a while, it may be a good idea to emerge it too.

Definitely, but it'll have to wait until the computer can be
left up for a day or so (it's a laptop, and it's not often in
one place for that long).

Yea, that can be tough on a puter that is mobile and not up for a
while. It's not like OOo is a 30 minute compile or anything. It takes
6 hours or so on this desktop.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-09-16, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> On 2008-09-15, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>> I ran python-updater and it wanted to emerge 7 packages. I
>>> emerged all of them except openoffice. Then I ran
>>> python-updater again. It still wants to emerge half of the
>>> packages that I just finished emerging. What does one have to
>>> do to get a package off the list of things python-updater wants
>>> to build?
>>>
>>> The packages it always wants to build are
>>>
>>> dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
>>> x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
>>> app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3
>>
>> Once you get them all emerged, unmerge the old version of
>> python and it will be good to go. That is my experience
>> anyway.
>
> Unmerging the old version of Python isn't unnecessary.

Oops, that should have been "is unnecessary."

--
Grant

Old 09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-09-16, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> From the times I have ran into this, it always wants to
> rebuild them until I remove the old version.

I do a fair bit of Python development, and I like to keep
multipel versions around for testing's sake.

> No clue why but it worked for me. I agree that after being
> recompiled it shouldn't need to do it again but it seems to do
> the same on my rig.

That's interesting. Seems like a bug in python-updater.

>> Definitely, but it'll have to wait until the computer can be
>> left up for a day or so (it's a laptop, and it's not often in
>> one place for that long).
>>

> Yea, that can be tough on a puter that is mobile and not up for a
> while. It's not like OOo is a 30 minute compile or anything. It takes
> 6 hours or so on this desktop.

On one of my machines it took almost 20 hours the last time I
built it. On the laptop in question it's probably around 12.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
at be flung by members of

Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-09-16, Willie Wong <wwong@Princeton.EDU> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:02:32PM +0000, Penguin Lover Grant Edwards squawked:
>> > No clue why but it worked for me. I agree that after being
>> > recompiled it shouldn't need to do it again but it seems to do
>> > the same on my rig.
>>
>> That's interesting. Seems like a bug in python-updater.

> Can you show the contents of python-updater -vp?

# python-updater -vp
[...]
unrecognised option: -vp

Running python-updater -v -p says this (all packages except
openoffice have been emerged at least once since python was
updated):

* Starting Python Updater from 2.4 to 2.5 :
* check "soname" enabled.
* check "pylibdir" enabled.
* check "eclass" disabled.
* check "manual" enabled.
* Adding to list: =dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
* check: manual [Added to list manually]
* Adding to list: =x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
* check: manual [Added to list manually]
* Adding to list: =app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3
* check: manual [Added to list manually]
* Adding to list: =app-office/openoffice-2.4.1
* check: soname [ Libraries linked to old libpython found:
* libpython2.4.so.1.0 /usr/lib/openoffice/program/pythonloader.uno.so libpython2.4.so.1.0 /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libpyuno.so
* ]

Calculating dependencies .... done!
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2 USE="-debug -doc -icu -pyste -tools" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/vte-0.16.14 USE="opengl python -debug -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3 USE="gnome perl python -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild R ] app-office/openoffice-2.4.1 USE="cups dbus eds firefox gnome gstreamer gtk kde ldap opengl pam -binfilter -debug -java -mono -odk -seamonkey -xulrunner" LINGUAS="-af -ar -as_IN -be_BY -bg -bn -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -dz -el -en -en_GB -en_US -en_ZA -eo -es -et -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -it -ja -km -ko -ku -lt -lv -mk -ml_IN -mr_IN -nb -ne -nl -nn -nr -ns -or_IN -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -sh -sk -sl -sr -ss -st -sv -sw_TZ -ta_IN -te_IN -tg -th -ti_ER -tn -tr -ts -uk -ur_IN -ve -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now I understand the
at meaning of "THE MOD SQUAD"!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-09-16, Willie Wong <wwong@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> Okay, then, it is not a bug. The packages listed belong to the
> PKGS_MANUAL set defined the python-updater. The comment there
> says:
>
> "packages that should be re-emerged even if they don't fit the
> criteria (eg. ones that have pythong compiled statically)"
>
> So that is the designed behaviour. I would prefer it like this
> rather than having packages that need re-emerging omitted.

Definitely.

> That said, you can pass the flag
>
> -dmanual
>
> to disable re-emerging those packages. (You can even fine tune
> which sets you want to re-emerge.) Read the python-updater man
> page for details.

Thanks. I had seen the description about "manual" in the man
page, but it didn't quite sink in.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Did I SELL OUT yet??
at