Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

Default cron

Hi
I have added*30 16 * * * /usr/local/bin/GATEWAY/gatewaySMS.sh in roots crontab. It does not gets executed by cron,where can i look for cron logs or errors on this host

when i run the script by hand it works fine, only thing it needs file*mailbody.txt which is located under*/usr/local/bin/GATEWAY/
Any ideas
Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
CARON Hugo

Hi,
you use crontab -e?
What cron deamon you use and is start?
For log if you use syslog-ng with default conf use /var/log/messages

This is ligne in log
Sep 15 21:00:01 ariel cron[19510]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons )

Hugo

Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Mick

On Monday 15 September 2008, CARON Hugo wrote:

[snipped some top posting ...]

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:16:02AM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have added 30 16 * * * /usr/local/bin/GATEWAY/gatewaySMS.sh in roots
> > crontab. It does not gets executed by cron,
> > where can i look for cron logs or errors on this host

You should be able to see cron errors popping up in /var/log/messages. More
detailed errors could be captured in a specific log for this cron job, if you
append something like this to your line:

30 16 * * * /usr/local/bin/GATEWAY/gatewaySMS.sh
--logging /var/log/gatewaySMS.log (all on the same line)

> > when i run the script by hand it works fine, only thing it needs
> > file mailbody.txt which is located under /usr/local/bin/GATEWAY/

Check for access rights of that directory/file by the user that your
gatewaySMS.sh script is run as and also check that your user is a member of
the cron group.

PS. You may have to create the /var/log/gatewaySMS.log by hand (use touch as
root) and you would also need to add something in logrotate if you use this
to manage the rotation of your log files.
Mick

Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Paul Mattal

We've got several bugs relating to choosing a new default cron daemon,
and/or supporting other alternatives.

The contenders seem to be: dcron, bcron, fcron, vixie-cron.

I have collected facts about these alternatives below, in the hopes we
can make a decision and move forward. Some of these are based on things
others have said, so they are reliable to the extent such
usually-reliable people made reliable statements; please point out any
errors if you spot them!

My fact-based inquiry suggests that if we have to select ONE cron, bcron
is the best default cron for Arch, because:

* vixie-cron is the de facto standard for cron, and thus "vanilla"
* bcron is committed to full vixie-cron compatibility
* bcron is designed for simplicity and security
* modest standard features and high robustness meets most of the
community's need

If we decided to support two crons, my analysis suggests the other
should be fcron. It's already maintained by Sergej in community; we
could move it to extra as a second supported choice.

What do others think? Tpowa, as maintainer of dcron, what do you think?
It would be good for us to make a decision so we can move forward on the
course of action and resolve some of these lingering bugs.

Do others have specific experiences with bcron to relate? I know some
folks like Dan and Thomas have chosen fcron, and maybe for good reason
other than just features; if you have war stories, please share.

If there's no new info by 1/10, I will start maintaining bcron in
[extra] and start using it for my own systems, to assess its suitability
firsthand and over an extended time period.

- P

***

dcron
http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeSrc/
-----
advantages:
* it's the least work (the incumbent)
* simple, small, mature
* familiar/standard crontab format
disadvantages:
* does not log to syslog
* does not support /etc/cron.d

bcron
http://untroubled.org/bcron/bcron.html
-----
advantages:
* designed with security in mind
* full vixie-cron crontab compatibility
* compensates for DST
* logs to syslog
* supports /etc/cron.d
disadvantages:

fcron
http://fcron.free.fr/
-----
advantages:
* feature-rich, if/when you want it
* almost fully supports vixie-cron syntax (except @*)
* compensates for system downtime
* already a package in community
* Dan and Thomas use it and recommend it firsthand
* logs to syslog
disadvantages:
* does not support /etc/cron.d
* slightly larger, more code
* not fully vixie-cron compatible
* probably less secure, since it's much more extensive

vixie-cron
ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/cron/
-----
advantages:
* a "reference" implementation, widely known
* logs to syslog
disadvantages:
* not updated (2004)

Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Allan McRae

Paul Mattal wrote:
We've got several bugs relating to choosing a new default cron daemon,
and/or supporting other alternatives.

<snip>

I thought we decided on fcron with the small adjustment/script needed to
support /etc/cron.d in the last round of discussion about this. bcron
was also popular (+1 from me...) but then we need an anacron replacement
too (i.e. fcron).

Aaron has repeatedly called for someone to deal with this and we have
had a total of zero volunteers to do so... So if you are going to do
this then it would be great. (also have a look at mailman in svn trunk
if you have time :P )

Allan

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Paul Mattal

We've got several bugs relating to choosing a new default cron daemon,
and/or supporting other alternatives.

<snip>

I thought we decided on fcron with the small adjustment/script needed to
support /etc/cron.d in the last round of discussion about this. bcron
was also popular (+1 from me...) but then we need an anacron replacement
too (i.e. fcron).

Is there also an issue we're trying to solve with anacron? Can't we use
bcron (or any other cron for that matter) and still use anacron separately?

I understand that fcron could theoretically do the work of both, but
don't see an inherent advantage over two separate tools which might each
be better at their own job.

- P

Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Allan McRae

Paul Mattal wrote:

We've got several bugs relating to choosing a new default cron daemon,
and/or supporting other alternatives.

<snip>

I thought we decided on fcron with the small adjustment/script needed to
support /etc/cron.d in the last round of discussion about this. bcron
was also popular (+1 from me...) but then we need an anacron replacement
too (i.e. fcron).

Is there also an issue we're trying to solve with anacron? Can't we use
bcron (or any other cron for that matter) and still use anacron separately?

I understand that fcron could theoretically do the work of both, but
don't see an inherent advantage over two separate tools which might each
be better at their own job.

Is anacron still maintained? A quick search leads me to think that the
last release was in 2000.

There is also yacron (maintained by an Arch user) which does everything:

Allan

Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Paul Mattal