FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Michael Sullivan
 
Default Need advice on changing terminal color scheme

I use my gnome-terminal a lot, and I have the background set to #000000
with the foreground set to #FFFFFF . This works pretty well for me,
except that the comments in config files and such show up in a dark blue
that's very difficult to read against the black background. I'd like to
change it to a lighter color on the dark background, but I don't even
know what file that particular config line "comment color=" would be in,
but I use vim as my text editor. Maybe in a ~/.vim* file, but which
one?
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Alan
 
Default Need advice on changing terminal color scheme

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:44:47AM -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I use my gnome-terminal a lot, and I have the background set to #000000
> with the foreground set to #FFFFFF . This works pretty well for me,
> except that the comments in config files and such show up in a dark blue
> that's very difficult to read against the black background. I'd like to
> change it to a lighter color on the dark background, but I don't even
> know what file that particular config line "comment color=" would be in,
> but I use vim as my text editor. Maybe in a ~/.vim* file, but which
> one?

If you're talking about the syntax highlighting in vim, you'll probably
want to do:

set bg=dark

Which will set the sytax coloring to *much* nicer colors for working on
black.

If you're talking the terminal colors for 'ls' and it's color, I'm not
sure.

HTH.

--
Alan <alan@ufies.org> - http://arcterex.net
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers." -- Unknown
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Need advice on changing terminal color scheme

On 2008-09-15, Alan <alan@ufies.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:44:47AM -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>> I use my gnome-terminal a lot, and I have the background set to #000000
>> with the foreground set to #FFFFFF . This works pretty well for me,
>> except that the comments in config files and such show up in a dark blue
>> that's very difficult to read against the black background. I'd like to
>> change it to a lighter color on the dark background, but I don't even
>> know what file that particular config line "comment color=" would be in,
>> but I use vim as my text editor. Maybe in a ~/.vim* file, but which
>> one?
>
> If you're talking about the syntax highlighting in vim, you'll probably
> want to do:
>
> set bg=dark
>
> Which will set the sytax coloring to *much* nicer colors for working on
> black.

I sure with there was a "bg" setting for emerge et al. Bright
green and yellow on white are awfully hard to read.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Okay ... I'm going
at home to write the "I HATE
visi.com RUBIK's CUBE HANDBOOK FOR
DEAD CAT LOVERS" ...
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Michael Sullivan
 
Default Need advice on changing terminal color scheme

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 10:03 -0700, Alan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:44:47AM -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I use my gnome-terminal a lot, and I have the background set to #000000
> > with the foreground set to #FFFFFF . This works pretty well for me,
> > except that the comments in config files and such show up in a dark blue
> > that's very difficult to read against the black background. I'd like to
> > change it to a lighter color on the dark background, but I don't even
> > know what file that particular config line "comment color=" would be in,
> > but I use vim as my text editor. Maybe in a ~/.vim* file, but which
> > one?
>
> If you're talking about the syntax highlighting in vim, you'll probably
> want to do:
>
> set bg=dark
>
> Which will set the sytax coloring to *much* nicer colors for working on
> black.
>
> If you're talking the terminal colors for 'ls' and it's color, I'm not
> sure.
>
> HTH.
>
Where do I set bg=dark? In the terminal or in a file, and if so, which
file?
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Need advice on changing terminal color scheme

On Monday 15 September 2008 20:25:08 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 10:03 -0700, Alan wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:44:47AM -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> > If you're talking about the syntax highlighting in vim, you'll probably
> > want to do:
> >
> > set bg=dark
> >
> > Which will set the sytax coloring to *much* nicer colors for working on
> > black.
> >
> > If you're talking the terminal colors for 'ls' and it's color, I'm not
> > sure.
> >
> > HTH.
>
> Where do I set bg=dark? In the terminal or in a file, and if so, which
> file?

It's a vim command so you can do it on the fly, or put it in a config file.

on the fly:
in vim, type '<esc>:set bg=dark'

permanent setting in a config file:
add the line
set bg=dark
to the file .vimrc in the home directory of the user using vi

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org